A look at the latest

  • Randy Asplund
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2007
      Hello everyone. I'm the fellow who has been making the Joan of Arc
      books based on the 15th c. style original I made for Joan Knoertzer.
      I have put up a web page showing the recent versions of the book and
      would like to invite you to take a look. The recent ones have
      gemstone bosses and inlaid parchment shields decorated with 23k gilt
      fleurs de lis.
      http://www.randyasplund.com/current/altpages/joanminis.html

      Since each one is slightly different, they are all unique works, so I
      don't consider them to be in a publication edition. And 'though I
      expect to make one for myself eventually, what few others I make will
      likely be made on commission or available through myself or Karen Nyman.

      I'm always looking to do commissions for new works though. Books,
      single page artwork or calligraphy, usually with a historic theme or
      style, but not necessarily.

      Here is an example of a contemporary piece I did called Peace
      Genesis. It is all medieval techniques on goat skin parchment with
      real gold and medieval paints, but a more modern use of imagery.
      http://www.randyasplund.com/current/altpages/peacegenesis.html

      And a recent cover image for Read Magazine/Reader's Digest:
      http://www.randyasplund.com/current/altpages/fairytales.html

      And here is an example of a 5.5" high 16th c. Limp Binding blank book
      (parchment and leather over paper) that I made recently:
      http://www.randyasplund.com/asplund/scribe/scribimg/16thclimp1.jpg

      Enjoy!

      Randy Asplund

      www.RandyAsplund.com
      Maker of Medieval books and
      Illustrator of Science Fiction & Fantasy
      (734) 663-0954
      2101 S. Circle Dr. Ann Arbor, MI 48103