Conclave

  • NMA815@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 22, 1999
      The conclave is over and were back home. Ill write a longer report soon to
      tell everyone on the list about the conclave. But i wanted right away
      publicly to thank Ralf for all of his hard work. He hosted a GREAT conclave
      and we are all very grateful to him.

      neale
    • Stephen Byrne
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 22, 1999
        Yet another endorsement of the thanks to Ralf.
        This was my first Conclave, as I am a newcomer to MBS, and was unsure about what to expect.
        What I experienced surpassed all that I had imagined, and I met some great people who offered me lots of support.
        What a friendly group of people!
        The idea of a European Chapter of the MBS is an excellent one, which I do hope comes to fruition. Thanks to Ian for that suggestion.
        I'm already looking forward to next year's Conclave in Vermont.
        Thanks once again to everybody concerned in organising the Conclave.
        Regards to all fellow MBS members.
        Stephen Byrne.
      • Ralf Quast
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 24, 1999
          Hi everyone,

          thank you for being so kind to me and my work!!!

          Ralf
        • Angelika Jaeck
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 26, 2000
            Hi everybody,

            I enjoyed the last Conclave in Koblenz so much that I have to
            come to Rutland! I am looking forward to meeting those members I
            met in Koblenz. I read that some of them are coming and it much
            nicer if you already know some people at such a big event. But
            am also looking foward to meeting a lot of new people!
            Jon is so helpful with my preparations and questions!

            If anybody wants a certain german book, let me know and I bring
            it with me (if I can find it!).

            Greeting from Germany,

            Angelika Jaeck
          • Angelika Jaeck
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 10, 2000
              Hi,
              just got home today, without luggage again.

              I had a wonderful time at the Conclave, spent a lot of money but
              got some nice miniature treasures in return. The workshops were
              very interesting und inspiring. And I hope the swap meet will
              become a regular part of the Conclave (with a few more people
              participating).

              I feel that only talked with about half the people that were
              there. Well, I will try to meet the others next time!

              My thanks to Jon and his helpers for the wonderful job they did.

              Greetings from Germany,

              Angelika Jaeck
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 13, 2001
                Its almost time for us to meet in Indianapolis.

                I wonder how many members of this group are going?

                Mike and Jean Garbett are coming to stay with us in NYC for a few days before we
                get to the Conclave.

                Thank You.
              • ThomasPETERX@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 19, 2001
                  Yes! I am coming to the Conclave in Indiana. I look forward to seeing many of
                  you there.
                  Donna Thomas
                • Jan Kellett
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 7, 2001
                    Yes, the Lilly Library has my vote in the Library of the Year contest, what a wonderful collection, and beautifully displayed. Thanks guys!
                    Jan Kellett

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 13, 2002
                      Maria G. Pisano will be attending the Conclave this year for the first time.
                      She would like to share a room and expenses with another attendee. If anyone
                      is interested, please contact her at MGPSTUDIO @ aol.com.

                      Thank You.
                    • minibookman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 21, 2002
                        Hello everybody,
                        I'd just like to echo the congratulations to the Conclave organising
                        Committee. Well done.
                        It was great to meet so many friends again, to chat and to see so
                        many wonderful books (and to sell so many!!)
                        It was also good to meet our new members, all of whom are very
                        enthusiastic. I know we all did our bit to welcome them. Lets hope we
                        keep up that encouragement and have even more new members next year.

                        Once again, thanks to Gabrielle, Mark and Miriam, and to all those
                        who worked so hard to make our Conclave so enjoyable.

                        Best wishes to all my friends in MBS, Stephen Byrne
                      • Paul Devenyi
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 7, 2003
                          One month to go to Conclave XXI. What three months ago looked like the possibly first cancelled conclave in MBS 20 years history, is turning out to have respectable attendance numbers. It won't be the biggest conclave ever, nor the smallest. I hope it will be remembered as one of the best. Some old regulars abandoned us, but many of them remained faithful and are back. I am also delighted to welcome several members to their first Conclave.

                          The MBS Newsletter gave a nice detailed program and I hope you found it useful. Here I want to give a few updates for those of you who registered and have access to this E mail group.

                          Metered taxifares just went up 25% in Toronto! For one
                          or two people it may be better to take the shuttle
                          bus which brings you to the Royal York. If you take an
                          airport limousine (they have a separate line from the
                          taxis), you can ask about their flat rate to the Royal
                          York.

                          Please remember that the Royal York deadline for the
                          special meeting rates is september 9. There are several
                          hotels with lower rates close to the Royal York. Some
                          of you already found them. If you need advise, E mail
                          me.

                          Unfortunately for Americans, the value of the US dollar
                          fell substantially against the Canadian $ in the last few
                          months. A US dollar bought 1.50 Can$ in the spring.
                          As of today, you will get $ 1.30-1.35 for it. You can
                          imagine that this caused a lot of budgeting headaches
                          for me, because I have to convert your $US dollar
                          registration fees to Canadian dollars. Still, I hope to
                          come out of this breaking even at least. As for your
                          individual purchasing power, you will still find Canadian
                          prices reasonable.

                          Margaret Challenger's wokshop turned out to be very
                          popular. The way she runs her workshop with a lots
                          of hands-on experience, she didn't want mor than 20
                          people in a group.At 25, we have closed the
                          registration. She then agreed to hold a second work-
                          shop from 2.30 to 3.30 Saturday. Those who were put
                          on "stand-by", are now in the second workshop. I am
                          asking those in the first workshop (ie. whose
                          registration was originally accepted), if any of you
                          would prefer the second time-slot, please let me know.
                          This may allow more even distribution. We don't want
                          to do the division unilaterally, because some of you
                          may have planned your free afternoon based on the
                          original schedule.

                          Speaking of the free Saturday afternoon, there are
                          lots of possibilities in the hotel's vicinity. In one of the
                          Newsletters I told you about theatre matinees. There
                          is also the CN tower and if the weather is good, the
                          harborfront a few minutes away. For art-lovers,there
                          is the Art Gallery of Ontario with a decent permanent
                          collection, but better still, on october 11-th opens a
                          special exhibit on the sculptures of Degas (better
                          known as painter, but supposedly equally good
                          sculptor.) The gallery is about 20 minutes walk or 3
                          subway stops away on the University Line. A couple
                          more stops takes you to the Royal Ontario Museum
                          which has great permanent material, plus a special
                          exhibit on Art Deco. Across from the ROM is a gem of
                          a little museum, the Gardiner Ceramics Museum; at
                          that time they will have a special show on old French
                          ceramics. All museums are closed on Mondays, as in
                          most part of the world.

                          There are many shopping possibilities near the hotel.
                          Keep in mind that Monday is Thanksgiving day in
                          Canada and most stores will be closed, except in
                          designated tourist areas, such as the Eaton Centre
                          and the stores of Niagara on the Lake for those who
                          take the tour. So, don't leave your shopping plans
                          for Monday.

                          By the way, there is one (yes, ONE!) seat left on the
                          bus to Niagara. I'll give it to the first person who asks
                          for it and follows it up with a payment of $ 44.00 USD.

                          Finally, a small venue and time change - if you keep
                          track of such details. The Sunday breakfast will be in
                          the Imperial Room (not in the Tudor) and it will start
                          at 7.30 (not 8) for the benefit of those exhibitors who
                          need more time for setup. The exhibit space is
                          adjoining. There is an hour lunch break in the Book
                          Fair and you can eat elegantly in the hotel or from
                          hot dog vendors across the street or anything
                          between.

                          This is my last "bulletin" before the Conclave. But I
                          am happy to answer individual questions.

                          See you in Toronto!

                          Paul Devenyi

                        • minibookman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 16, 2003
                            Unlike most of you I haven't got home from Conclave yet - I'm
                            visiting friends in Alberta - but I just have to say how much I
                            thoroughly enjoyed the Conclave, so well organised, so nice to meet
                            old friends and make new ones.
                            The fact that I sold a few books was far less important to me than
                            the friendship I encountered.
                            Thanks to every one who put so much into making the Conclave such a
                            success.
                            Stephen Byrne
                          • motherg2001
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 14, 2004
                              Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                              be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                              about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                              printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                              from
                              others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.
                            • Kimberly Byerly
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 14, 2004
                                We would love to hear more about your broadside project...

                                Kind regards,
                                Kim & Scott Byerly
                                Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                                be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                                about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                                printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                                from
                                others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • AJ
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
                                  Dear miniature book friends!

                                  I hope all Conclave attendees got home save and sound. It was a
                                  pleaseure seeing you all again.
                                  The Conclave was tremendous, many thanks to Karen Nyman for her
                                  fantastic job on organizing the event.

                                  I promised serveral people to send them links, info etc. If you
                                  have't heard from me yet, please remind me. My memory isn't as good
                                  as it used to be!

                                  For those I told about the wonderful TED talk I watched on my flight
                                  from Amsterdam to Detroit, here is the link.

                                  Graphic designer Chip Kidd talks about the art of designing book covers.
                                  http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html

                                  Best wishes from Germany,
                                  Angelika