MBS Facsimile The Book of hours of Mary Stuart

  • arnobernoarno
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2007
      Here is a link to the most beautiful miniature
      book of hours facsimile that I know!!

      size: 48 x 32 mm
      :-)

      www.skriptorium.at/catalog/product_info.php?
      products_id=388&osCsid=09489ad1d64f4d6f3394a8520ab58724

      www.faksimile.ch/frame_werk45_d.html

      www.omifacsimiles.com/cats/hours.html

      if someone is interested in the illustrations
      -> I can send you some wonderful pics :-)

      Arno G.

      MANUSCRIPTS (by location)
      [Altshausen, private collection, House of Württemberg]
      Livre d'heures Maria Stuart. Faksimile-Ausgabe der Handschrift aus
      dem Besitz des herzoglichen Hauses Württemberg. Handschrift,
      entstanden 1510/15 in Tours.
      Darmstadt: Facsimilia Art & Edition Ebert, 1988. 4 x 5.2 cm, 300, 208
      pp.

      This is the smallest book of hours known and because of its history,
      the refined quality of its script and the high standard of its
      illuminations, one of the most precious MSS in private ownership. It
      was created around the time of François I. While the script can be
      connected to Geofroy Tory, the miniatures point to the "School of
      Rouen" (in Rouen around 1500, but by 1510-20 situated near the Royal
      Court in Tours or Paris). It came into Mary Stuart's possession
      approximately two generations after its creation and is a complete
      book of hours with all the textual features of its genre: beautifully
      written small humanistic script using pages of 21 lines, delightful,
      diversely arranged border decorations, numerous gold initials on
      colored background, 14 miniatures depicting scenes with complete
      figures in detailed landscapes and richly embellished interiors.
      Commentary: Hansmartin Decker-Hauff, Eberhard König, Myra D. Orth &
      Johannes Rathofer. Limited edition, bound in full leather, with
      clamshell linen case. €1780