LA meeting

  • Jeanne Goessling
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 1999
      Such a tempest!
      The meeting in LA sounds like fun. The mistake, I guess, was calling it a Conclave.
      The designation "Conclave" has always seemed grandiose and inappropriate to me, though amusing, considering our open membership and preoccupation with miniatures. It is unchangeable now, of course. The word refers to the College of Cardinals, and means "a secret or confidential meeting" - in a room locked with a key (con, with; clave, key).
      "Rump", however, seems exactly right for the planned meeting in LA. The Oxford English Dictionary has two columns of citations for "rump." After the obvious primary meanings, "rump" is defined as "a small, unimportant, or contemptible remnant of a body of persons..." (The "contemptible" Rump Parliament beheaded the king.) By now the word has lost its pejorative cast, and American Heritage Dictionary defines it as "a legislature having only a small part of the original membership, and so unrepresentative or lacking authority."
      I assume the meeting in LA will not presume to exercise any authority.
      Other words could describe the meeting - adjunct, ancillary, concurrent, auxiliary, alternate, lesser, branch, affiliated - but they lack the ring of "Rump Conclave". "Anti-Conclave" sounds unduly contentious.
      Anyhow, a friendly meeting of folks who can't get to the overseas Conclave, organized after all possible foreign reservations have been made, seems like a nice idea to me. I'm just sorry that I can't make it to either one, and I hope everybody has a good time.
      How about "Consolation Conference"?
      Greetings to all! Jeanne Goessling