"Midget" classics?

  • genevieve_d29
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2007
      I'm wondering if anyone can help me with an upcoming exhibit. I work
      in Special Collections at the Univ. of MO-Columbia's Ellis Library,
      and MBS' traveling exhibit will be displayed here in the beginning of
      March (we are SO excited!!)...

      I'm putting together a supplementary display of the miniature books
      in our collection, but am having a tough time getting information--
      often, these books don't have a lot of publication info or anything
      other than the text, and I'd like to put something more on the
      placards accompanying each book other than the book title and, if
      available, author.

      One series I would like more information on is the
      Shakespeare "Midget" classics published by Burgess & Bowes. Our
      catalogers couldn't find dates on any of them, and searches on OCLC
      have not produced any dates other than a cataloger's approximation.
      Does anyone have *any* information on this series at all--even an
      estimated range of publication dates?

      Second, I'm wondering what the best way to display miniature books
      is. We have a glass soft-backed case, and I don't really know how to
      securely show off our titles (which number about 150-200). Any
      advice on this? We don't have a lot of money to spend on hardware,
      but we do have some. Are there particular methods that work best for
      anyone?

      Thanks so much! I've really enjoyed getting to know the world of
      miniature books through this group's archived messages and the MBS
      site.

      Genevieve Dawson