More on rump.

  • Dr Paul Devenyi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 1999
      Hello onelist friends! I see that this rump-business got some of you quite wound-
      up. (in my correspondance with Donn Sanford we called it "anti-conclave"). I don't
      think that this hurts the Koblenz conclave, because they were fair enough not to
      advertise it in the Newsletter or on the Internet; by the time the announcement
      came, those who wanted to go to Koblenz already made their arrangements.
      I for one, when I served on a previous Board, was opposed to the Koblenz conclave, but my fellow Board members approved it.Nonetheless, I felt that as VP I should go. By the way, I think it will be a very good, even if predictably small
      conclave and the interaction between North-Americans and Europeans will give
      MBS a new dimension. Until now, we were an international society in name only,
      with 90% American membership. In Koblenz I estimate that 50% of attendees will
      be from Europe. We should send our good wishes to the rump-guys (in reality
      probably a California regional meeting - with a few guests from other states).
      Regional chapters incidentally, are allowed by the MBS "Standing Rules" (9,10,11)
      but require Board approval. Yes, as a matter of courtesy, the rumpists should have
      at least asked for Board rubber-stamping. It would be nice to have a few regional meetings between conclaves. We are too spread out to have miniature book-clubs with regular (eg. monthly) club nights, similarly to some city-based European clubs.But regional weekend meetings once or twice a year between conclaves, could bring us closer to this concept. Those of you who go to California, have a nice REGIONAL RUMP! Those of us going to Koblenz, will have a nice CONCLAVE.
      We all get back together in Vermont next year.

      With best wishes: Paul Devenyi