      From: Annie & Ian Parker [mailto:annie.pooo@...]
      Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 11:58 AM
      To: Donn Sanford
      Subject: Yorkshire Post : News : Big interest in small wonders

      Yorkshire's National Newspaper Online Search News

      News Thu, Jul 04, 2002

      Front Page

      News Events Archive

      Search Archive

      Accommodation Guide

      Baby Services

      Job Explorer

      Yorkshire Radar

      Non Exec Directory

      Yorkshire Post Training

      Placing Advertisements

      Web Design

      About Us

      Big interest in small wonders
      Emma Dunlop

      ONE of the smallest collections ever has gone on display
      at a South Yorkshire museum this week, but visitors may need to bring their
      magnifying glasses with them.

      An exhibition of more than 70 miniature books, which look
      like they were designed for The Borrowers, yesterday went on show at
      Barnsley's Cannon Hall Museum, as part of the German collection's first
      visit to England.

      The exhibition, which was launched in Koblenz, in Germany,
      in 1999 from the archives of the Miniature Book Society, shows how popular
      miniature bookmaking has been through the ages. Manager Jane Whittaker said:
      "Miniature books have fascinated people since writing was first used. Even
      before printing was invented little books with hand-painted illuminations
      were lettered by hand.

      "Miniature books were among the earliest printed books,
      and they are still being lovingly produced today, bound by hand."

      All the books in this exhibition are less than three
      inches tall and some so tiny they can only be read using a magnifying glass.
      Titles range from A description of Jesus Christus by Publius Lentulus to
      Advice to a young man on choosing a Mistress by Benjamin Franklin.

      The exhibition has been touring Germany since its launch.

      Exhibition organiser Stephen Burns will demonstrate
      miniature bookmaking at the hall on Wednesday and Friday afternoons
      throughout July.

      The display runs until August 4.

      Copyright ) Yorkshire Post Newspapers Ltd

      mr sanford
      this article appeared in my daily paper today and I thought you might be
      interested to read it. I have rung them to see if there are any of
      James' books in the exhibition, as the museum is only about 20 miles
      away and I may be able to go before I fly out to Nappanee, the end of
      July. School gets out in 2 weeks time.
      best wishes
      annie parker (james l weygands step daughter)