1328gold tooling on leather

  • Barbara Brear
    Sep 7 4:54 AM
      Hullo everyone
      Barbara Brear here from South Africa.  I have a multiple question.  I do realise that the subject I am asking about is an art form that takes a life time to perfect, but a gal has got to start somewhere! and any answers would be appreciated.

      I have managed to source engraving tools (if that is the right term) for my miniature leather books.  I got them from P and S Engraving in England and they are wonderful.  It is just so heartwarming to know that such craftsmanship is still available.  Now I have the tools.  I have the leather book covers made.  I have shellac, I have egg white, I have (forgotten the word - white and sticky).  I have gold leaf.  Where do I start?

      Do I make a blind impression first before applying gold leaf? If so how do you ensure that for the second wallop it is lined up exactly?
      What keeps the gold leaf in place?  I know not to touch it with my fingers and to pick it up with a brush.

      I also have the letters and the quads and spacers and the type holder.  What are the quads for and what are the spacers for?  You can see how much I know!

      I am going to contact my original bookbinding teacher who is a master craftsman and ask him for some lessons but that can only be in 3 weeks and in the meantime I want to play!

      Thank you for your time.
      Barbara Brear