1186Miniature Book "blurb" in current issue of Archaeology

  • Edward Hoyenski
    May 18, 2007
      The May/June 2007 issue of Archaeology has a "blurb" about a miniature book.

      P. 12 "World Roundup"

      A picture of a child's shoe and a miniature book (which I *THINK* is a Bryce Bible).

      Caption:
      "England: at just over an inch wide and half an inch thick, the smallest complete Bible must have been difficult to read, which my explain why it was found stuffed in a child's boot inside a nineteenth-century cottage chimney. The boot and the tiny 1901 bible, called a "thumb Bible" in its time, were likely used for protection against witchcraft".

      It looks like a copy of the Bryce smallest Bible shown on p.77 of Julian & Anne's new book. A very beat-up copy......

      Edward Hoyenski
      Assistant Curator
      Rare Book & Texana Collections
      University of North Texas Libraries