[mingw32] Re: windres: no resources

  • Brent Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 1999
      Mumit,

      I used your version the windres you provided with the
      --use-temp-file option and it worked perfectly. Thank you. I will use
      this as a temp fix until windres get a permanent fix to it.

      thanks again, I was really cornfused for a bit :-)

      On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 15:01:59 -0600 (CST)
      Mumit Khan <khan@...> wrote:

      On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Brent Williams wrote:

      > I upgraded to gcc-2.95.2 mingw32mwvc
      >
      > When I try to recompile a program I had writting with gcc-2.95 I get and
      > error message from windres ("windres: no resources") after it cat's the
      > contents of the preprocessed file to STDOUT.
      >
      > The only documentation I can find on windres is the binutils manual that
      > is distributed with gcc-2.92.2.
      >
      > I have already ensured there is no 'C' code in my include files. An
      > attempt to compile the resource file with out any includes at all yields
      > the same results (albeit without macros and defines being processed)

      This bug was reported only for French language version of Win9x, where
      the resources get output to the screen/console/stdout instead of to where
      it's supposed to go. I haven't seen this for other lanuage versions.

      I have a test version that takes a --use-temp-file (or something like
      that, check with `windres --help') available at:

      ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/private/collard/windres-exe.zip

      Please try this out with --use-temp-file option and see if that cures
      the problem.

      Regards,
      Mumit

      Gator fills in forms and remembers passwords with NO TYPING at over

      100,000 web sites! Get $100 in coupons for trying Gator!
      http://click.egroups.com/1/340/5/_/13107/_/946674128

      -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=mingw32&m=1

      The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.
      Brent Williams / GDNO 1-800-281-8396 ext 7390
      PGP Key -- http://www.palenaka.com/pgp/palenaka.asc
    • Mumit Khan
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 1999
        On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Brent Williams wrote:

        > I used your version the windres you provided with the
        > --use-temp-file option and it worked perfectly. Thank you. I will use
        > this as a temp fix until windres get a permanent fix to it.

        The permanent fix will be something very similar. Since the default is
        much faster (uses popen to open a pipe to the preprocessor and reads
        the output from the pipe), it'll remain the default; for folks with
        versions of win9x that shows this problem will need to use --use-temp-file
        option instead.

        > thanks again, I was really cornfused for a bit :-)

        This is certainly a really confusing one. Thanks for testing out the fix.

        btw, could you please send me the OS version info (eg., is Win95, 95 or
        NT? What version?)?

        Regards,
        Mumit
      • Brent Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 1999
          Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10.1998)

          I have installed some y2k/service packs but I lost track of exactly
          which ones. :-(

          The source code for the program I wrote is at
          http://www.palenaka.com/ptrack/

          thanks again.....

          On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 15:18:19 -0600 (CST)
          Mumit Khan <khan@...> wrote:

          On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Brent Williams wrote:

          > I used your version the windres you provided with the
          > --use-temp-file option and it worked perfectly. Thank you. I will use
          > this as a temp fix until windres get a permanent fix to it.

          The permanent fix will be something very similar. Since the default is
          much faster (uses popen to open a pipe to the preprocessor and reads
          the output from the pipe), it'll remain the default; for folks with
          versions of win9x that shows this problem will need to use --use-temp-file
          option instead.

          > thanks again, I was really cornfused for a bit :-)

          This is certainly a really confusing one. Thanks for testing out the fix.

          btw, could you please send me the OS version info (eg., is Win95, 95 or
          NT? What version?)?

          Regards,
          Mumit

          The only fruitcake at overstock.com is our manager.

          He’s giving away a $20 coupon, plus our everyday Free Shipping.

          Take advantage of the savings and selection now.
          http://click.egroups.com/1/342/5/_/13107/_/946675136

          -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=mingw32&m=1