Re: [minciu_sodas_en] Re: Call for ideas for making sense of transit system performance

  • Debra Louison Lavoy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2003
      At 06:39 PM 7/8/03 -0700, you wrote:
      Hello,

       I think it is simple to have website which will
      collect data (the sensor system can be GPS or
      something else) about bus momentarily location and
      predict when they will be at station which customer is
      interested for.
      The customer can go to internet or wireless device to
      check and get information. I can make a simulation.

      Stanko

      Someone else suggested recruiting the bus drivers into this solution. I heartily agree. Do they have radios that they can communicate with? If they could talk to one another, perhaps they could even out the arrival of buses, notify each other and headquarters of unusually heavy traffic or ridership.

      Someone spoke about finding the root of the problem - is it because the drivers and headquarters aren't equipped to be flexible? Would the transit system allow someone to interview various people  - drivers, dispatchers, management, etc, to start to uncover the problems and solutions?

      Its a great idea to use the web to empower the riders, but its a pretty big hammer to pull out if the buses could self-regulate better and become more reliable.
      - Debra

      --- minciusodas <ms@...> wrote:
> [...]
      > www.videomachete.org is a very big community
      > organization there. Would
      > they do a story? Get people involved? Help bring in
      > funding for the
      > project?
      >
      > 4.
      > Cell phones now have video capabilities. Can it be
      > harnessed for any good?
      >
      > 5.
      > People often look to where they see the problem.
      > Maybe the problem
      > lies in something less obvious. Are the buses slow
      > in all
      > neighborhoods? Is it about community wealth?
      > Community ridership? Has
      > ridership changed recently? How often do the bus
      > schedules change? Do
      > they accomodate new traffic patterns? New
      > construction? Do they have
      > too many local, not enough express service? How does
      > the bus service
      > coordinate with the train? How many people use both
      > train and bus? How
      > much time does the driver spend collecting money? Is
      > there a faster
      > way to collect money? Can they all get on the bus
      > and then pay later?
      > Pay as they get off? What if ridership were free?
      > How many people
      > would use the bus if it were free? Would free buses
      > eliminate the use
      > of cars on some streets, and therefore speed the
      > service? Are there
      > "car free" streets? Should there be?
      >
      > Just some thoughts. Some good, some not. Cull what
      > you like.
      > Hope all is well with you.
      >
      > Best,
      > David Kaminski

      > [From Richard Cayzer, presumed copyright.]
      >
      > Dear Sir,
      >
      > I understand you are looking for ideas [potential
      > investigations/projects to directly or indirectly
      > improve the quality
      > of life by enhancing the Chicago transit system].
      > Thoughts are:
      >
      > - Is the correct planning in place within the
      > transit management to
      > leverage emerging fuel technology? If not, why not?
      > [my thought here
      > is that lobby from oil firms could trickle down and
      > delay adoption of
      > cost-effective purchase down the line].
      >
      > - Is management matching the size of vehicles to the
      > density of
      > commuter usage? (i.e. planning to replace old buses
      > with smaller,
      > cheaper, buses.
      >
      > - With router technology you can accurately track
      > where a bus is -
      > therefore you could investigate whether
      > incentivising drivers to be at
      > bus shelters at/until the right time would be
      > advisable/work.
      >
      > - I know a company you may be interested in which
      > helps transit
      > organisations use GPS so that a 'pop-up' reminder on
      > your desktop will
      > tell you when a bus is coming, rather than you

      http://sbc.yahoo.com

      Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada.
      Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/y8_tZA/6oVGAA/ySSFAA/pyIolB/TM

      Debra Louison Lavoy
      Cell: 408-218-5778
      Voice: 408-979-9930
      FAX: 408-979-9730
      AIM: DLouisonLav

    • David Ellison-bey
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 16, 2003
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 22, 2003
          On such matters I have always found the following quotation from Mother Teresa
          very useful:

          "On cannot do great things, one can only do small things with great love"

          Regards,
          Prem

          On Thu July 17 2003 11:02, David Ellison-bey wrote:
> [...]

          PREM CHANDAVARKAR
          Chandavarkar & Thacker Architects Pvt. Ltd.
          7 Palace Cross Road, Bangalore – 560 020, India
          Tel: 91(80) 334-2101 / 334-1002 / 334-6005
          Fax: 91(80) 344-2044
          Mobile: +91-98452-12022
          Email: prem@...
        • Natalie d'Arbeloff
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 28, 2003
            Thanks Prem, for this wonderful quote. I will quote it again on my blog
            page.

            And thanks too, David Ellison Bey, for your thoughtful message.

            And Andrius too, of course, for generously remembering me always.

            All my best to you all,