Bar Camp in Riga, Latvia

  • Andrius Kulikauskas
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2008
      Didzis,

      Its nice to hear from you. Yes, greetings from Bosnia. Today is Bajrem
      Serif, a big Muslim holiday to celebrate the story of Abraham and Isaac,
      with sacrifices of rams.

      Yes, theres a chance that I could go to Bar Camp in Latvia.

      Would you like to go to any of the COMMUNIA meetings? How is your
      business going? Is there any interest in Creative Commons Latvia. A
      person showed interest in Creative Commons Lithuania.

      I wonder what mails of ours you are reading, and any thoughts you have. I
      have to look for new sources of work and so I am thinking, what is
      important to me? I want to work on my philosophy, I would like to lead
      research projects that God is interested in, and I would like to organize
      the kingdom of heaven, a culture of independent thinkers. I suppose I
      would like to find a base in Lithuania because I lost the one I had in
      Pavilnys.

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms AT ms DOT lt

      --
      Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 23, 2008
        Didzis,

        Thank you for your thoughtful letter. There's a decent chance that I'll
        be in Lithuania in February and I'll keep in mind BarCamp Latvia.

        I try to structure our lab so that it doesn't require intense
        participation, but rather, if you care about something, we can help you
        make progress over time. You can see that in the course of a year a lot
        happens! For example, you are very welcome to participate in our COMMUNIA
        meetings.

        -------------

        Hi, Andrius,

        I just got back from Finland — I went to Tampere to see Markus and had a
        really great time. He said you both had a video conference about gift
        economy while he was in Pori. How did that go?

        As to my business, I'm afraid this is a really tough time. First of all,
        nobody has any money, and I have a wife to support, so I am paying more
        attention to getting some money now rather than setting up something that
        might be more profitable in future. Second, because nobody has any money,
        it's quite hard to convince people they should invest in something like
        that — and the banks are very cautious as well. A year ago they were
        doling out loans like Halloween candy. I'm afraid those days are gone.
        Third, our beloved government has decided to raise the VAT on books from
        5% to — get a hold of this — 21%, effective January 1st, 2009. So the
        prospects are not really that great. However, I am fully aware that this
        presents a great opportunity — the current crisis might as well shake up
        the market and change the rules, so the advantages of open-source
        publishing would be even greater. It's just very hard to keep all the
        balls in the air — you know, making enough money to get by, getting my
        business idea off the ground, passing my last year's exams and writing the
        bachelor's paper, trying to find a new place to live (I might have to
        leave the one I'm living in quite soon), staying reasonably healthy, and,
        finally, somehow keeping my marriage together. It isn't easy, I must say.

        Anyways. As to the base in Lithuania — so this village thing with Zenonas
        didn't quite work out or what? I sort of get the feeling that people —
        myself included — would love to co-operate with you, but that is just it —
        co-operation, not exactly extending MS network, building Kingdom of Heaven
        or what have you. That's what being an independent thinker is all about —
        thinking independently, and if you come to different conclusions, you
        stand your ground. I do understand that there are times when you need a
        commander-in-chief (like the conference in Vilnius, no doubt), but the
        network of independent thinkers could only be a loose-knit network with
        great degree of authonomy, not a centralised Soviet-style top-to-bottom
        network — then it wouldn't really be a network of independent thinkers,
        would it? So what I would propose — and this thing could work right now —
        you should tap into networks that already exist and invite them to share
        and co-operate. So what if things don't go exactly the way you want them
        to go? It'll still be in the general direction of a better world. And, if
        that would mean toning down some things — for example, I do admire the
        strength of your faith, but I can certainly understand how that might turn
        some people off — well, so be it. Also, it's quite impossible to ask all
        people to have the same level of dedication as you do. I'm sorry, but
        being single is quite a different level of responsibility than being
        married and planning to have children quite soon (or already having them).
        Correct me if I'm wrong, but for now it seems that most people who are
        actively involved with MS are either single or retired — either way, they
        have enough free time to spare and don't have to worry too much about
        money. It's great, but it's not for everybody. At the same time, married
        people with children do tend to care more about the world we live in, so
        they would really love to join an effort to make it better — just don't
        expect them to have the same my-way-or-high-way attitude.

        By the way, you're using Skype, right? What's your username? I'd love to
        chat with you some time.

        Oh, and it would be really great to meet you in BarCamp. If you need a
        place to stay, you're always welcome to stay with us — it's not Riga, but
        it's not far from it, and it's much nicer.

        Best regards —
        Didzis

        --
        Minciu Sodas