Clay County Fair, FL, Thurs. 4/7

  • Jo
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8 7:22 PM
      Stephanie and I took off early from school and work to go see Ronnie and crew at the Clay County Fair. This one was a fairly close show for me - only an hour and a half away. Of course the weather was not cooperating, and it was raining cats and dogs the whole way there, and for a few hours after we got there. Not a good thing in a fair show setting. It definitely kept a lot of people away, but the fans that showed up were in for a real treat. They were a great audience, and the response was incredible - better than with some packed house shows I've been to. They were thrilled to be at a Ronnie show.

      We got there early enough to watch the sound check. As usual, they had the sound fine tuned to perfection for the venue. It never fails to amaze me how terrific the band sounds in any given venue, and a couple recent doses of other people's concerts tells me that Kerry West is a genius. And Marty and Kirby play with all those mikes and wires until they couldn't possibly dare to sound bad. The final result is always worth all the work they put into it.

      It was an 8 pm show, and Ronnie did a meet and greet at 7. There were lots of fair VIP's and Radio contest winners. It was great saying hi to Ronnie and getting a hug. As always, it went way too fast. Ronnie hit the stage wearing jeans, a black tshirt, and a pink blazer. Looked very sharp! He opened with "Any Day Now," and did his normal set for the most part. He did "Kawliga" instead of "All is Fair," and it was GREAT to hear that again. He sang "Home Fires," which I've never heard live before. And he sang "Woman in Love," which is always a treat to hear too. Everyone gave enthusiastic applause to Rhonda and 'Elvis.' Brian introduced Ronnie, but he didn't do his normal opening act. After the show, he went out front and signed autographs on merchandise purchased at the show. There was a very, very long line of people waiting to meet Ronnie and get an autograph.

      While he was doing that, Steph and I spent time with everyone in the back, and it was a nice end to a great evening. We said our goodbyes, and headed for home. Another wonderful memory for us.

      There are some photos posted in Ronnie's fan forum, and I'll eventually have some on the fansite. I've been so bad with keeping that updated lately. *frown*

      Jo