[RRND] 01/02 -- 16,273 Iraqi deaths reported in 2006; US deaths pass 3,000

  • Terry L Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      * Volume V, Issue #1,057
      * Tuesday, January 2nd, 2007
      * Email Circulation 2,038
      * Published every non-holiday weekday
      * by the staff of Rational Review
      * On the Web: http://www.rationalreview.com/news
      * In cooperation with ISIL: http://www.isil.org

      Dear readers,

      The first RRND of 2007 is a "web only" edition -- 25 news stories and 40 commentaries, including pieces from Lew Rockwell, Garry Reed, Claire Wolfe, moi, Sheldon Richman, Jim Henley, Sandra Price, Jim Peron, Bill Bonner, "CLS," Doug Newman, Fred E. Foldvary, Tibor R. Machan x 2, Bob Smith, Charles Oliver, Ivan Eland, Ted Galen Carpenter, Fred Reed, Antal E. Fekete, Retta Fontana, Glenn Allport, Jessi Winchester, Albert Jay Nock, Steven Titch, Joe Mariani, Henry Hazlitt, Melinda Pillsbury-Foster, Ben Cunningham and others. Don't forget to check our audio/video and events listings, and to participate in this week's symposium on Iraq!

      Fundraiser update:

      The good news: Thanks to KML, DT, RB, MB, HP, KS, RB (again!), DW and KT, contributions from last Friday through this morning came to $139.50, bringing us to $1, 997.50 toward our year-end goal of $3,000.

      The bad news: We didn't make the goal. We're still $1,002.50 short.

      The worse news: That means I'm just going to keep plugging this thing for a little while longer.

      In the past, I've had a policy of "run it to a deadline, then let it go." I'm not going to do that this time. After four years of putting this publication out every non-holiday weekday, I'm of the opinion that my fellow editors, just this once, deserve to earn almost as much as they would have if they'd spent the last month flipping burgers or sweeping floors (no elitism intended -- I've done both those things for a living myself!).

      I've just "administratively" contributed $2.50 myself (PayPal won't let me send money to myself, but I'll count it in when I distribute the revenues to the other editors) to bring our total to $2,000. Now, there's a nice, round $1,000 balance.

      Maybe 250 of you out there believe that four years of RRND/FND is worth four bucks. If so, here's your chance to prove it:

      Or maybe one or two of you who support libertarian projects with large contributions believe that the continued publication of RRND/FND is something worth ponying up $500 or $1,000 to support. If tax deductibility is an issue, your contribution can be routed through ISIL:

      If you'd like to make a one-time payment directly to RRND, or in a different amount, see the far right sidebar of any page at rationalreview.com.

      If you'd like to become one of our "subscribing contributors" at $2.50, $5, $10 or $20 per month, see:

      We appreciate the support of each and every one of you who have, or will, return value for value. We hope that more of our readers will recognize that our revenue model -- and therefore our continued existence -- is based on them voluntarily choosing to do so. We've made -- and will continue to make -- a good faith effort to provide the Internet's best daily news and commentary roundup "on spec," trusting our readers to recognize its value and act accordingly. Now, at the beginning of a new year and the beginning of our 5th year of continuous publication, would be the ideal time to prove that that trust has been well-placed.

      Happy New Year!

      Yours in liberty,
      Tom Knapp
      Rational Review

      * Join the pro-freedom talk radio posse each weekday,
      * 5-7 pm Central, WGNU 920 AM, St. Louis or on the web!
      * http://www.sloanrangershow.com/
      * The classic statement on why economic freedom works
      * http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0156334607/internationso-20
      * Get fit FAST!
      * http://shannonstyle.com/warriors_way_guide.html

      * HEALTH-OF-THE-STATE-O-METER, 01/02/07
      * Reported Civilian Deaths in Iraq: Min - 52,473 ... Max - 58,056
      * (source: www.iraqbodycount.org)
      * American Military Deaths in Iraq: 2,992
      * (source: www.antiwar.com/casualties/)

      * RRND relies on the valued support of our readers. Forward freely.
      * Visit our web edition and support our work at:
      * http://www.rationalreview.com/news
      * To support ISIL's Free-Market.Net Project (tax deductible)
      * http://www.isil.org/store/membership.html
      * To unsubscribe from the email edition, send email to:
      * For other email options, visit:
      * http://groups.google.com/group/rrnd
      Thomas L. Knapp ..... Publisher
      Mary Lou Seymour .... Editor