Drill Chucks

  • gtata
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2004
      I need to buy a drill chuck form my full size Comet mill. The Enco
      catalog has their own brand listed for $41.95 a German made on called
      ROHM at 44.95 and the heavy duty Jacobs Chuck at $99.95. My question
      is out of those 3 what would be the best deal. Is the Jacobs chuck
      that much better than the other 2. I dont mind paying for quality but
      if its the name im paying for than id rather get the cheaper ones.

      George T
    • C.S. Mo
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2004
        The Enco brand is pretty bad. I'm not sure which Rohm chucks you're
        looking at - the 21500x are ballbearing chucks, the 66657x chucks are not
        (those are Rohm part numbers I don't know what they cross-reference to
        with Enco, but if you call Enco they'll give you the Rohm p/n). However,
        if I had to choose between the Rohm non-ball bearing chuck and the Enco,
        I'd go with the Rohm.

        Both the Rohm and the Jacobs are rebuildable however the parts for the
        Rohm are pretty hard to come by and if I remember correctly, the Jacobs'
        kit is around $50 so it may not be worth rebuilding!

        One thing to keep in mind about drill chucks, once you've had a bit slip
        in the chuck once or twice the jaws will not hold anywhere near as well
        as they did originally. If you're the kind of person that isn't really
        diligent about making sure that the chuck is really tight, I'd recommend
        getting a cheap chuck and replacing it every 3-6 months.

        I sold around 40-50 Rohm chucks (about 10-15 to people on this list)
        about 6-12 months ago. As far as I know everyone who bought one is very
        happy with them. Unfortunately I don't have any 1/2" ones left.

        --C.S.

        >I need to buy a drill chuck form my full size Comet mill. The Enco
        >catalog has their own brand listed for $41.95 a German made on called
        >ROHM at 44.95 and the heavy duty Jacobs Chuck at $99.95. My question
        >is out of those 3 what would be the best deal. Is the Jacobs chuck
        >that much better than the other 2. I dont mind paying for quality but
        >if its the name im paying for than id rather get the cheaper ones.
        >
        >George T
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Allen Sparks
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2004
          All chuck mfg.'s make various grades of chucks, but
          for my money, and every shop I worked in it was Jacobs
          Ball Bearing Super Chucks that were used. Here is a
          web page so you might get a clue as to why the Jacobs
          is about twice the price of import chucks.

          http://www.byitfrom.com/gnt/jacobs.htm

          You get what you pay for!

          Sparky

          --- gtata <gtata@...> wrote:
          > I need to buy a drill chuck form my full size Comet
          > mill. The Enco
          > catalog has their own brand listed for $41.95 a
          > German made on called
          > ROHM at 44.95 and the heavy duty Jacobs Chuck at
          > $99.95. My question
          > is out of those 3 what would be the best deal. Is
          > the Jacobs chuck
          > that much better than the other 2. I dont mind
          > paying for quality but
          > if its the name im paying for than id rather get the
          > cheaper ones.
          >
          > George T

        • paul weber
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2004
            I have both the ROHM and the Jacobs ball bearings chuck. The ROHM is the
            chuck of choice. No wobble in the drills and is a hand tightened.
            Paul

          • Jerry Stephenson
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2004
              George,
              I think you need at least two chucks.  And if you don't mind paying for quality, you should probably buy all ball bearing chucks.

              For small work you can't beat Albrecht keyless chucks.  But I happened across a Jacobs ball bearing keyless first and that is what I use for light duty drilling. For larger stuff I use the Jacobs Super chucks.  I have the 14N, 16N, and 20N.  The bigger the chuck the harder it grabs.  If you never use a chuck at it's maximum diameter, you'll have better luck. So for 1/2" stuff I use the 16N.  For 3/4" I use the 20N.  For 1" stuff, I use an Endmill holder.

              Also, for larger drilling I use a lot of taper shank drills and an R8 to MT3 adapter.

              I have an old Jacobs 14N in ok shape with an R8 shank in it that I'd sell for $30 plus shipping so you can get the feel for what a nice ball bearing chuck is like.  I'd have to put it in the machine and check the runout and make sure it is ok before I actually sold it to you.  If you like it, then you can buy a rebuild kit for it  ($40 or so) and have a very nice chuck for not too much.    I just checked and McMaster Carr sells the 14N for $135.   The 1/2" Albrecht is $224.  The Jacobs keyless that I have,.JKP 130, is probably as good as the albrecht for $177.  And you can usually beat McMaster's prices but I can't get on Enco's website right now for some reason.

              Oh yeah, the first quality chucks I ever bought were the Rohm chuck you're talking about.  I bought a 1/2" and a 5/8". They are still very smooth and clamp well and will actually do an ok job.  But they aren't as precise or clamp as tightly as the ball bearing chucks--I get a little runout in them, even when they were brand new (I think I remember about .003 mils).  I still like them and use them but I have to say that if I'd had ball bearing chucks first, they wouldn't have been satisfactory.  And keyless chucks only clamp in the forward direction.  If you buy any left hand drills or tools you'll have to have a keyed chuck.

              Take care,
               --Jerry

            • ppump11578@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2004
                Not too sure what the phrase "heavy duty" means but I have seen several Chinese made drill chucks that were as good as the Rohm brand which I think likes to be thought of as very good quality. Here I speak of concentricity only, mine manages about 0.0015"  from true. I know this as I bought a Rohm some years ago and showed it proudly to a friend who had just bought a Chinese drilling machine complete with chuck for half its price and whose chuck was as good as mine. Crushing!
                Regards
                pp
              • William Lenord Stage
                Message 7 of 16 , May 2, 2004
                  George,

                  I have the Enco drill chucks, the Jacobs chucks that are not the
                  super ball bearing and the good Jacobs. Get the super ball bearing
                  Jacobs. They are on sale a lot from Enco and J&L.
                  If you want, I have 2 of the Enco chucks I'll be happy to send you
                  for postage costs from 76017. They are the great big ones from Enco.
                  One has never been used.

                  FWIW
                  Lenord

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gtata" <gtata@s...> wrote:
                  > I need to buy a drill chuck form my full size Comet mill. The Enco
                  > catalog has their own brand listed for $41.95 a German made on
                  called
                  > ROHM at 44.95 and the heavy duty Jacobs Chuck at $99.95. My
                  question
                  > is out of those 3 what would be the best deal. Is the Jacobs chuck
                  > that much better than the other 2. I dont mind paying for quality
                  but
                  > if its the name im paying for than id rather get the cheaper ones.
                  >
                  > George T
                • jim davies
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2004
                    > I have the Enco drill chucks, the Jacobs chucks that are not the
                    > super ball bearing and the good Jacobs. Get the super ball bearing
                    > Jacobs...

                    I now have a good selection of them, including an as new 20N all
                    picked off Ebay for good prices. They seem to come up often, and
                    many are in very good shape as mine are.
                  • accuratemike
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2, 2004
                      I have a Polish Bison (chuck). It is 1/2", keyless and ball bearing.
                      It was less than $40 from Penn Tool Co. It works well, at least as far
                      as I am able to tell. Happy shopping, MIKE

                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "jim davies" <jwdavies@u...> wrote:

                      > > I have the Enco drill chucks, the Jacobs chucks that are not the
                      > > super ball bearing and the good Jacobs. Get the super ball bearing
                      > > Jacobs...
                      >
                      > I now have a good selection of them, including an as new 20N all
                      > picked off Ebay for good prices. They seem to come up often, and
                      > many are in very good shape as mine are.
                    • Corey
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 2, 2004
                        The Enco chuck is excellent.  I bought both the Rohm and the Enco, I wound up returning the Rohm.  The Enco had less runout and a nicer "feel" to it.  Almost identical to my Albrechts.

                        Try it, you'll like it :)

                        gtata <gtata@...> wrote:
                        I need to buy a drill chuck form my full size Comet mill. The Enco
                        catalog has their own brand listed for $41.95 a German made on called
                        ROHM at 44.95 and the heavy duty Jacobs Chuck at $99.95. My question
                        is out of those 3 what would be the best deal. Is the Jacobs chuck
                        that much better than the other 2. I dont mind paying for quality but
                        if its the name im paying for than id rather get the cheaper ones.

                        George T

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Phil Teague
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 2, 2004
                          I am getting a little confused about exactly which chuck is being
                          referred to. The "Enco" chuck that is listed as $41.95, is it the 5/8"
                          ball bearing chuck that is part number 290-1515, or are we talking
                          about the Enco keyless chuck that is part number 290-1147 and is a
                          3/8" drill chuck? I own one of the 1/2" Enco keyless drill chucks
                          (part # 290-1152, price $43.95) and it is a very nice drill chuck. It
                          has a picture of a Pelican stamped on it and is made in Taiwan. I
                          pruchased it about two years ago and it has been used regularly during
                          that time. It has held up well.

                          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey <corey94945@y...> wrote:
                          > The Enco chuck is excellent. I bought both the Rohm and the Enco, I
                          wound up returning the Rohm. The Enco had less runout and a nicer
                          "feel" to it. Almost identical to my Albrechts.

                          > Try it, you'll like it :)

                          > gtata <gtata@s...> wrote:
                          > I need to buy a drill chuck form my full size Comet mill. The Enco
                          > catalog has their own brand listed for $41.95 a German made on called
                          > ROHM at 44.95 and the heavy duty Jacobs Chuck at $99.95. My question
                          > is out of those 3 what would be the best deal. Is the Jacobs chuck
                          > that much better than the other 2. I dont mind paying for quality but
                          > if its the name im paying for than id rather get the cheaper ones.
                          >
                          > George T
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • gtata
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 2, 2004
                            The chuck im referring to is the 290-1515. It is a ball bearing type
                            but does use a key. By the way i appreciate everyones responses. Ive
                            heard both positive and negative about the Enco chucks. Im going to
                            give this one a try and if it doesnt work our i will upgrade to a
                            Jacobs super chuck.

                            George T
                            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Teague" <philteague@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > I am getting a little confused about exactly which chuck is being
                            > referred to. The "Enco" chuck that is listed as $41.95, is it the
                            5/8"
                            > ball bearing chuck that is part number 290-1515, or are we talking
                            > about the Enco keyless chuck that is part number 290-1147 and is a
                            > 3/8" drill chuck? I own one of the 1/2" Enco keyless drill chucks
                            > (part # 290-1152, price $43.95) and it is a very nice drill chuck.
                            It
                            > has a picture of a Pelican stamped on it and is made in Taiwan. I
                            > pruchased it about two years ago and it has been used regularly
                            during
                            > that time. It has held up well.
                            >
                            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey <corey94945@y...> wrote:
                            > > The Enco chuck is excellent. I bought both the Rohm and the
                            Enco, I
                            > wound up returning the Rohm. The Enco had less runout and a nicer
                            > "feel" to it. Almost identical to my Albrechts.
                            > >
                            > > Try it, you'll like it :)

                            > > gtata <gtata@s...> wrote:
                            > > I need to buy a drill chuck form my full size Comet mill. The
                            Enco
                            > > catalog has their own brand listed for $41.95 a German made on
                            called
                            > > ROHM at 44.95 and the heavy duty Jacobs Chuck at $99.95. My
                            question
                            > > is out of those 3 what would be the best deal. Is the Jacobs
                            chuck
                            > > that much better than the other 2. I dont mind paying for quality
                            but
                            > > if its the name im paying for than id rather get the cheaper ones.
                            > >
                            > > George T
                            > >

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Corey
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 2, 2004
                              The good Enco one that I was referring to was the 290-1152 1/2" keyless with the Pelican that Phil talked about.  I've never tried any of the other Enco brand chucks, sorry about confusing things.  I don't use keyed chucks anymore, it takes me too long to figure out where the hell I left the key...  :)

                              best,

                              wrote:
                              > I am getting a little confused about exactly which chuck is being
                              > referred to. The "Enco" chuck that is listed as $41.95, is it the
                              5/8"
                              > ball bearing chuck that is part number 290-1515, or are we talking
                              > about the Enco keyless chuck that is part number 290-1147 and is a
                              > 3/8" drill chuck? I own one of the 1/2" Enco keyless drill chucks
                              > (part # 290-1152, price $43.95) and it is a very nice drill chuck.
                              It
                              > has a picture of a Pelican stamped on it and is made in Taiwan. I
                              > pruchased it about two years ago and it has been used regularly
                              during
                              > that time. It has held up well.
                              >
                              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey wrote:
                              > > The Enco chuck is excellent. I bought both the Rohm and the
                              Enco, I
                              > wound up returning the Rohm. The Enco had less runout and a nicer
                              > "feel" to it. Almost identical to my Albrechts.
                              > >
                              > > Try it, you'll like it :)

                            • Phil Teague
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gtata" <gtata@s...> wrote:
                                > The chuck im referring to is the 290-1515. It is a ball bearing type
                                > but does use a key. By the way i appreciate everyones responses. Ive
                                > heard both positive and negative about the Enco chucks. Im going to
                                > give this one a try and if it doesnt work our i will upgrade to a
                                > Jacobs super chuck.

                                I hope you can report back on that chuck when you get it. I would like
                                to hear about it.

                                Phil
                              • gtata
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                                  You guys talked me out of the Enco chuck, I cancelled the order with
                                  Enco in the morning.I ended up getting a Jacobs 14N Super chuck off
                                  ebay with R8 shank for $42. In the ad it said that it was in good
                                  shape, so we shall see. Im glad i went this route, i would have paid
                                  more for the Enco with the adapter shank that i needed.

                                  wrote:
                                  > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gtata" <gtata@s...> wrote:
                                  > > The chuck im referring to is the 290-1515. It is a ball bearing
                                  type
                                  > > but does use a key. By the way i appreciate everyones responses.
                                  Ive
                                  > > heard both positive and negative about the Enco chucks. Im going
                                  > > give this one a try and if it doesnt work our i will upgrade to a
                                  > > Jacobs super chuck.
                                  > >

                                  > I hope you can report back on that chuck when you get it. I would
                                  like
                                  > to hear about it.
                                  >
                                  > Phil
                                • Allen Sparks
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                                    George,

                                    I hope you get a good chuck, I have from experience
                                    learned what to look for in used chucks on eBay. First
                                    is does the seller have a close up of the jaws. Second
                                    any burning or bluing of the jaws. Third are the teeth
                                    on the sleeve good and sharp, with no rounding. Fifth
                                    the overall appearence of the chuck. The pictures must
                                    be good and sharp, tip, if pictures are dark you can
                                    down load them and use almost any graphics program to
                                    lighten and pull out details.

                                    I now only bid on chucks that are new or in like new
                                    condition. They generaly go for 60-70% of new price.

                                    Sparky