Re: Aloris-type tool post dimensions

  • Dan Zimmerle
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2004
      Update: Finished first of the toolholders the old fashioned way ...
      sneaking up on the dimensions. So for those of you trying this at
      home:

      -- Cut the rough slot 1.375" wide exactly 0.375 deep ... by this I
      mean that the dovetail bit will glide over the surface at 0.375, so
      stop at 0.370 and do the last 0.005" with the dovetail bit planing.

      -- With a 0.750" diameter, 60-degree dovetail bit, the magic
      dimension is about +/- 0.460" from the centerline of the slot.
      (obviously, I have a DRO)

      I took the tool post off the lathe and tried it repeatedly
      while "sneaking up."

      Dan.