CNC retrofit for the Mill-Drill

  • torchris
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
      Hi folks,

      I'm doing some research on which CNC retrofit will work best for my
      Rong-Fu/Enco-Grizzle Round-Column Mill-Drill (actually a Busy Bee
      Model 1977). I have already posted this in the CNC-DRO Yahoo Group,
      but I'm hoping I might get more response from this bunch! :-)

      What I am looking for is something that I can "bolt-on" without too
      many modifications to the mill, and, of course, something reasonably
      priced. So far I have looked at:

      - IndustrialHobbies
      - Microkinetics
      - FlashcutCNC
      - AjaxCNC
      - CNCMasters

      I would be interested to know who out there has dealt with any of
      these vendors and performed their retrofits. Are their retrofits
      easy to perform? Is the performance of the retrofit system
      reasonable? Were you satisfied with their service, support & price?
      Are there any other vendors you could recommend - particularly in
      Canada?

      If you prefer to not post your opinion on the board,please drop me
      an e-mail at chris.armour@....

      thanks!

      Chris
    • cmiller231@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004
        Chris Y ou could also try                                                   http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=CNC+Forum&number=13&DaysPrune=1000&LastLogin=ou

                           Chris

      • Dave Rolley
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004
          Have a look at the conversion.

          http://homecnc.info/cnc-main.html

          One thing I like about it is his approach to the Z-axis. He drives it
          directly with a ballscrew rather than just putting a pully on the
          existing crank and gear system.

          Dave
        • Markwayne
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004
            And to control it dont forget EMC. http://linuxcnc.org/

            Many evangelists on that group for mentioned, no one wishes too speak up
            for fear of starting a p n contest. One of many reasons I unsuscribed
            and deleted it.

            Mark