Re: George's Shop

  • Ned Seith
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2004
      Greetings,

      For smooth flat finishes on Asian machines, I have had good results
      with 2 1/2" and 3" diameter shell mills sold by Enco.

      For removing light machining marks, I use 3" and 4" diameter 3M
      Roloc scotchbrite disks.

      At 1,500 RPM, a red Roloc disk followed by a blue Roloc disk will
      give beautiful results with kerosene and aluminum/brass or cutting
      oil and steels.

      Ned

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Teague" <philteague@y...>
      wrote:
      > On the subject of surface finish I was curious about how good of
      > surface finish I could get with my HF $799 mill/drill (33686
      model). I
      > have included some links to photos I took of my efforts.
      > Unfortunately, it is difficult for me to capture the surface finish
      > the way I would like.
      >
      > In the first photo I am using a 5/8" roughing end mill to make an
      > initial cut that is 3/8" deep and 1/4" wide in a piece of 1018
      CRS. I
      > am turning at 400 rpm using power feed (although I did not measure
      the
      > speed of the feed). I used some Klearcut lard/mineral oil applied
      with
      > a brush.

      http://img43.photobucket.com/albums/v132/philteague/Initial_rough_cut
      .jpg
      > The end mill I am using is the most expensive end mill I own
      (except
      > the indexable one I use later). It cost $8.99 from Enco. Everyone
      > should have one. It really cuts well. You will notice that there
      are
      > are faint marks on the vertical cut face resulting from the end
      mill.
      > The surface is actually pretty smooth.
      >
      > The second photo is not as clear, but is after taking a cut using a
      > 5/8" M2AL plain end mill ($3.00 from JTS). I took off .010" on the
      > vertical and horizontal faces also using the Klearcut oil.

      http://img43.photobucket.com/albums/v132/philteague/2nd_cut_reg_end_m
      ill.jpg
      > This smoothed out the vertical face but there are faint ripples on
      the
      > vertical face you can see if you hold it up to the light. It is,
      > however, smooth to the touch.
      >
      > So, I made one last climb mill cut taking off about .004" on the
      > vertical face only. This was using the same end mill still using
      400
      > rpm as the speed.

      http://img43.photobucket.com/albums/v132/philteague/Final_climb_mill_
      cut.jpg
      > The made most of the ripple effect of the last cut go away. You can
      > still see a very faint ripple effect if you hold it to the light.
      The
      > photos do not convey this very well.
      >
      > So, I decided to use the 1 3/8" indexable end mill to see if I
      could
      > improve any at all on the above cut. The end mill uses two TPG
      > tungsten carbide coated inserts (~$12 from JTS I mention the price
      of
      > the tools so you can see that I don't have anything exotic in the
      way
      > of cutting tools).

      http://img43.photobucket.com/albums/v132/philteague/Indexable_end_mil
      l.jpg
      > This was done taking off about .005" on the vertical face and about
      > the same on the horizontal face using climb milling. I have not
      ever
      > using this end mill to do side milling. It actually seemed to work
      OK.