Using the facing mill

  • philteague@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2001
      Before I purchased my HF 33686 mill/drill I had never used a facing
      mill like the one included with most of these type machines. Now that
      I have one and have gotten some use from it I really like what I can
      do with it. I have tried using single point flycutters but I just
      don't seem to have as good a luck with them.

      I almost ruined the orginal carbide tool bits that came with the
      facing mill when I chipped them pretty well the first time I used it.
      However, I later reground the bits so that they work OK. I have
      considered grinding some HSS bits to see how they work. One problem is
      I would have to cut a piece of M2 1/2" sq tool bit into two pieces. I
      am not sure how I can do this. I do not have a cutoff saw or die
      grinder. I have used my Dremel to cut-off much smaller sized tool
      steel bits and it will certainly chews up those rather expensive
      cut-off disks in a hurry. Can you use a 4 x 6 bandsaw to do this? Will
      a bi-metal blade running at the slowest speed work? Or, will it just
      ruin the bandsaw blade? Any other suggests would be welcome.

      Phil Teague
    • Mert Baker
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2001
        Right. Trying to cut HSS will just ruin the bandsaw blade.
        Mert
        "The more fundamental the truth, the more politically incorrect is the
        mention thereof."
        > Before I purchased my HF 33686 mill/drill I had never used a facing
        > mill like the one included with most of these type machines. Now that
        > I have one and have gotten some use from it I really like what I can
        > do with it. I have tried using single point flycutters but I just
        > don't seem to have as good a luck with them.
        >
        > I almost ruined the orginal carbide tool bits that came with the
        > facing mill when I chipped them pretty well the first time I used it.
        > However, I later reground the bits so that they work OK. I have
        > considered grinding some HSS bits to see how they work. One problem is
        > I would have to cut a piece of M2 1/2" sq tool bit into two pieces. I
        > am not sure how I can do this. I do not have a cutoff saw or die
        > grinder. I have used my Dremel to cut-off much smaller sized tool
        > steel bits and it will certainly chews up those rather expensive
        > cut-off disks in a hurry. Can you use a 4 x 6 bandsaw to do this? Will
        > a bi-metal blade running at the slowest speed work? Or, will it just
        > ruin the bandsaw blade? Any other suggests would be welcome.
        >
        > Phil Teague
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Ward M.
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2001
          The method I've always used to cut HSS toolbits is to score them all around where you wish to cut them about 1/16" deep using the Dremel cutoff wheel.  Then I clamp the tool vertical in a vise with the score line just level with the top of the vise jaws.  Then I lay a rag over the toolbit and vise to catch any flying chips, and strike the tool away from me using a small ball peen hammer.  Done correctly, the tool bit will break right at the scored line.  I then use the grinder or belt sander to clean up the ends at the break.

          By the way, I wear glasses, but if you don't, be sure to wear safety glasses when doing this!

          Thanks,

          Ward M.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 28, 2001
            Ward:

            Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it.

            Phil

            Service.