Re: [mill_drill] Re: Bench Knee & Vertical Mills

  • Allen Sparks
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
      Pro's and con's

      The Grizzly has better fit and finish in a 6x26 mill,
      and comes with power feed as compaired to the WT. I
      have inspected both mill's, and if buying one would go
      with the Grizzly. Not that much difference in price
      when a power feed is figured in with the WT mill.

      Both of the mills can easily have a 4"-5" riser added
      to get more "Z" space.

      Jim's 8x30 mill is made in Tiwan, and is very well
      finished. This mill can also have a riser easily
      added. WT has the best price on this one. The only
      draw back I can see is that power feeds would be hard
      to add to this machine.

      My .02 cents worth!

      Sparky

      --- jim davies <jwdavies@...> wrote:

      > I have what is basically the WT 3004-0090, but with
      > more
      > goodies. Went through the same thoughts before
      > buying.
      > The 90 mill is considerably bigger than the 95 and
      > I'm very
      > glad I went with it. About the only problem is that
      > the
      > cast iron seems a bit soft and the table scratches
      > easily.
      >

      > > I was looking at the Grizzly bench vertical mill
      > too. However, I
      > > decided against it for sveral reasons.
      > >
      > > a.) The knee takes up a lot of space. The meax
      > distance from the
      > > spindle to the table is only 12", 6" less than
      > typical mill drills.
      > > b.) The table is small at roughly 6x26.
      > > c.) The price is a bit steep for something with
      > such little
      > > capacity.
      > >
      > > mills.
      > > > Examples of these are the Grizzly G3102 & G3103
      > (w/power down
      > > feed),
      > > > Penn Tool's Top Tech DM-150 and Wholesale Tools
      > 3004-0095.

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • accuratemike
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
        Don't forget to check out 45clones.xls in the files section. I ended
        up with a Rong Fu JFC45N2F (the real model number for an RF45
        w/downfeed). Good hunting, MIKE

      • jim davies
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004

          > Jim's 8x30 mill is made in Tiwan, and is very well
          > finished. This mill can also have a riser easily
          > added. WT has the best price on this one. The only
          > draw back I can see is that power feeds would be hard
          > to add to this machine.

          The story I was told when considering the two sizes was that
          the smaller one cannot be converted to power feed whereas
          the larger one already has a power feed on it. One of the US
          suppliers, however, has the smaller one with a power feed
          on it. So, the story I was told seems to be the reverse of what
          you stated, above.

          The finish is pretty good, as you say. Yes, a riser block would be
          easy to add, based on the construction of the machine. I took the
          head assy off during setup. The head rotates in two planes, and
          swivels and locks with only three capscrew heads holding it too
          the vertical column. Seems a bit flimsy. I am watching closely
          for any signs of head rotation, and have already dreamed up a
          solution. I can see that adding a riser block at the same time would be
          a nice possibility...
        • Jerry Stephenson
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
            So do I read below to say that the WT 8x30 is made in Taiwan?  If so, I'd say that is a great value.  --Jerry

            --- jim davies <jwdavies@...> wrote:

            > I have what is basically the WT 3004-0090, but with
            > more
            > goodies. Went through the same thoughts before
            > buying.
            > The 90 mill is considerably bigger than the 95 and
            > I'm very
            > glad I went with it. About the only problem is that
            > the
            > cast iron seems a bit soft and the table scratches
            > easily.
            >

            > > I was looking at the Grizzly bench vertical mill
            > too.  However, I
            > > decided against it for sveral reasons.
            > >
            > > a.)  The knee takes up a lot of space.  The meax
            > distance from the
            > > spindle to the table is only 12", 6" less than
            > typical mill drills.
            > > b.)  The table is small at roughly 6x26.
            > > c.)  The price is a bit steep for something with
            > such little
            > > capacity.
            > >
            > > mills.
            > > > Examples of these are the Grizzly G3102 & G3103
            > (w/power down
            > > feed),
            > > > Penn Tool's Top Tech DM-150 and Wholesale Tools
            > 3004-0095.

          • jim davies
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004

              So do I read below to say that the WT 8x30 is made in Taiwan?  If so, I'd say that is a great value.  --Jerry
              That's the story I was told before buying the BB version. It is nicely
              finished compared to some of the M/Ds I looked at. Runs smoothly, too.
            • Mark Howard
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
                Rick,

                I don't think you'll find that there is any difference in the milling/drilling emphasis between the knee type and the dovetail vertical mill. I chose to go the RF-45 route because of the better table travel (both X and Y). They are both very capable machines, but I prefer the geared head (as opposed to the belt drive) and the better table travel distances. I live in the UK and our suppliers are slightly different to your Grizzly et al but the RF-45 (or equivalent) with powered table and down feed is difficult to beat.

                Regards

                MARK
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
                  Rick,

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "sweptvolume" <rdmp@a...> wrote:
                  > I recently joined this group to learn more about the compact Chinese
                  > & Taiwanese mill/drills. So far, it appears that most have a higher
                  > regard for the geared head dovetail mill drills due the higher
                  > precision inherent in the dovetail design. Examples are the
                  > Wholesale Tool 3006-0080, Grizzly G0519, Rong Fu 45, Enco 325-5184
                  > and probably a few I've yet to discover.

                  Back in September I bought the WT model 3080 (labeled "ZX7045"). Fit
                  and finish is better than I anticipated. I decided on the dovetail
                  column design because I plan to retrofit it for CNC someday, and I
                  believe the dovetail columm is best for that purpose. As the others
                  have mentioned, the 8x30s are of rather limited capacity, plus with
                  the vertical round column mill drills, whenever you raise or lower the
                  head, you have to retram the mill. Given these limitations, I decided
                  against both designs in favor of a dovetail column model.

                  Best,

                  Michael