Re: [mill_drill] Grizzly Model G0591

  • Jerry Stephenson
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 4, 2004
      Sparky,

      That is very good info.  It is very hard to find someone who has actually laid their eyes on the different machines.

      I like the looks of the wholesale tool machine on the web.  I was at the grizzley showroom in Springfield MO last year and most all the machines on the floor appeared to be Taiwanese but many of the new ones in the warehouse appear to be made in China.

      I'm thinking the WT machine is made in Taiwan and the Grizzley is made in China.  Can you confirm that?

      Thanks,
      Jerry
      #3006-0085 the WT mill's win handsdown for fit and
      finish.

      http://wttool.com/

      Their sight is a little slow.

      Sparky

      --- kmslinda <gerry@...> wrote:
      > Has anyone in this group purchased this mill. I am
      > considering buying one, & would like to know what
      > you think about the quality. I currently have a
      > Grizzly Mini Mill, which needed a lot of work to get
      > the X & Y gibbs to work properly.
      >
      > Thanks: Gerry

    • accuratemike
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 10, 2004
        I think it wouldn't be a stretch to actually use a boring head to
        make the trepanning tool. 4 1/16" might be a stretch, but I bet I
        could make a couple of tools to fit my 3/4 holes in the boring head
        and trepann away. Maybe even something that came out of the horizontal
        holes and turned down 90° for big holes.
        I have the cheesy, drill press, version that will cut 6" holes in
        plastic pretty readily. If it were 6 times more rigid, I'd be using it
        on metals as well. The pieces that come out of it have a drilled hole
        in the center and a nicely tapered edge. Many of them have found their
        way into washer service. :) MIKE

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Stephenson" <stephejl@a...>
        wrote:
        > Don,
        > I think I'd much rather have a bucket of holes. Unfortunately,
        trepanning won't work in my case because the parts are 2" thick.
        Also, the through hole isn't full diameter. On one part the through
        hole is 2.9" and the other 2.25" but most of each housing is bored out
        to 4.062".

        > After looking at the prices for some of the trepanning tools, i may
        make one for the milling machine one of these days. Would be easy to
        do, just make it like a flycutter with the cutting tool vertical. Then
        grind the trepanning tip in HSS. Not as fancy but ok for an
        occasional hole. Besides, sounds like a fun project. I would
        probably use a 1.5" shank and about a 4" diameter head with some sort
        of sliding mechanism similar to a boring head to adjust the diameter.
        I believe is stiff.

        > Cheers,
        > Jerry
        >
        > Cheers,