RF30 vs RF31

  • cpma@mts.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 28, 2001
      Does anyone knows what the difference is between the two models???
    • Bruce Simpson
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 28, 2001
        On 29 Sep 01, at 1:54, cpma@... wrote:

        > Does anyone knows what the difference is between the two models???

        All I can see by looking is that the RF31 has a plastic belt cover
        whereas the RF30 has a pressed steel one.
      • beaton@mb.sympatico.ca
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 28, 2001
          R-F 31 comes with reverse switch!!!...William...

          -

        • j.c.gerber@tbwil.ch
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 28, 2001
            If you look in the files section of the Newsgroup, you will find a manual of both for downloading..

            Jean-Claude, Switzerland

            Does anyone knows what the difference is between the two models???

          • john@sipinc.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
              Sorry, the RF31 DOES NOT come with a reverse switch. This is an
              option specified by the importer.

              Cheers

              --- In mill_drill@y..., beaton@m... wrote:
              > R-F 31 comes with reverse switch!!!...William...
              >
              > -
              > -- In mill_drill@y..., cpma@m... wrote:
              > >
              > Does anyone knows what the difference is between the two models???
            • Alan Marconett KM6VV
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
                Hi John,

                My RF-31 from Harbor Freight (several months ago) HAS a forward/reverse
                switch! It also has a 2HP motor, while I believe the RF-31 motor is
                smaller. The model with the ABS belt cover is preferred. I also was of
                the impression that the table size/travel specs. were better on the '31.

                Alan KM6VV

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Hi Alan,

                  All RF31's are built plain. The reverse switch (also called a
                  tapping switch for power tapping) or the optional power down feed or
                  optional power feed (and about 5 or six different things) are simply
                  options that the importer can specify from Rong Fu to make his retail
                  models 'different' or justify a higher price at market time.

                  A person can order from an importer (ie: Harbour Freight) these
                  options, but the plain RF31 does not actually have this option per
                  se. You can visit the Rong Fu site and look at the on-line catalog
                  and you will see all of these options that I talk about. All RF31's
                  now have the PE belt cover, the metal ones are simply old stock. All
                  North American RF31 come with a 2HP motor (actually a very good one
                  to boot!).

                  How do I know this? I had a very good chat with one of the major
                  Canadian Rong Fu buyers/importers (the guy that actually visits the
                  factories in Taiwan every few months) and he spilled his guts on all
                  this interesting stuff.

                  This company used to import two versions. One fully loaded (an extra
                  $1500 Cdn) and the basic model. Now it is only the basic model,
                  demand for the loaded version is now too minimal (too expensive?).

                  A fully loaded RF31 is very impressive, two speed 3 Phase motor and
                  tapping switch with emergency stop, chuck guard, coolant system,
                  worklamp, power feed, power down feed, 3 Axis DRO and a base.

                  The power down feed normally is sold as a seperate machine known as
                  the 'RF31N2F'.

                  Regards

                  --- In mill_drill@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
                  > Hi John,
                  >
                  > My RF-31 from Harbor Freight (several months ago) HAS a
                  forward/reverse
                  > switch! It also has a 2HP motor, while I believe the RF-31 motor is
                  > smaller. The model with the ABS belt cover is preferred. I also
                  was of
                  > the impression that the table size/travel specs. were better on
                  the '31.

                  > Alan KM6VV
                  >

                  > john@s... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Sorry, the RF31 DOES NOT come with a reverse switch. This is an
                  > > option specified by the importer.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers
                  > >
                  > > --- In mill_drill@y..., beaton@m... wrote:
                  > > > R-F 31 comes with reverse switch!!!...William...
                  > > >
                  > > > -
                  > > > -- In mill_drill@y..., cpma@m... wrote:
                  > > > >
                  > > > Does anyone knows what the difference is between the two
                  models???

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Alan Marconett KM6VV
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
                    Hi John,

                    Thanks for the info. Too bad they don't have a CNC option!

                    I know of this site:

                    http://www.rongfu.com/

                    and:
                    http://www.rongfu.com/arfa-mill-31.htm

                    To get to the '31. I haven't found the options area. Maybe they have
                    motor mounts? The 'Z' axis seems to be the toughest to convert to CNC.

                    I recall that ENCO had an optional "US" motor, I'm glad to hear that
                    this 2 HP import motor is good, I'd hate to replace it.

                    Other sites with RF-xx info:

                    http://www.emachinetool.com/search/index.cfm?WhichArea=All+Products&SearchTerm=RF-30

                    http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/2231.cfm

                    Oh, and a correction to my previous post, the *RF30* motor, I was
                    thinking, was smaller. This model might be discontinued?

                    Alan KM6VV

                  • john@sipinc.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                      There is a CNC option for the RF31 (third party) and a very good
                      (read expensive like heck) one too! I don't have the name with me,
                      but will post it tomorrow. Features ball screws and a replacement for
                      the Z-Axis mechanisim, good steppers and powerfull controllers.
                      The Rong-Fu catalog section is a little messed up, some options
                      appear in catalogs of other machines etc (or not at all), but you get
                      the general idea. Here is the link.

                      http://www.rongfu.com/c02-01/index.html

                    • john@sipinc.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
                        Alan,

                        Here is the link to Micokinetics. Looks nice but a little $$

                        http://www.microkinetics.com/cncdmill.htm

                        John

                      • Alan Marconett KM6VV
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
                          Hi John,

                          Thanks! Microkinetics! I have seen their catalog. Actually looked
                          through it about a week ago. Mine must be old, as I didn't see any
                          RF-31 retrofits. I'll re-check their site, and get a new catalog!

                          Alan KM6VV

                        • machines@ntlworld.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
                            --- In mill_drill@y..., john@s... wrote:
                            > Alan,
                            >
                            > Here is the link to Micokinetics. Looks nice but a little $$
                            >
                            > http://www.microkinetics.com/cncdmill.htm
                            >
                            > John

                            One thing to remember with the Microkinetics system is that their
                            controller is linked to their software.
                            You might well be better off using third party products like CNC Pro,
                            Master5 or Ahha and Gecko drives. Microkinetics software hasn't moved
                            on in many years and at best it looks like a school simulation
                            program.

                            John Stevenson.
                          • Alan Marconett KM6VV
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 3, 2001
                              Hi John,

                              You're quite correct! Actually, I'm just interested in pre-made motor
                              mounts and ball screws. I'd like to see how they did it. At 6K+, I
                              think I can do the work myself!

                              Alan KM6VV