Quill drops when quill lock released

  • rlincolnh
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hi All,

      This problem, which I think is generic to most M/Ds, is getting
      sufficiently annoying that I want to do something about it. We all
      know the cause - the backlash between the rack and pinion being
      opened up when the fine down-feed wheel is advanced while the quill
      is locked in position - so _someone_ must have come up with a
      solution. I vaguely remember a post sometime earlier this year (oops,
      last year!) where someone made reference to doing something to their
      machine, with a side benefit being either a fix for this problem, or
      which would at least alleviate it.

      I tried some searches of the archives without success.

      Is that someone still a member of this group? Or does anyone else
      have any good ideas?

      As a matter of interest, why does this symptom not occur on other
      machines, e.g. turret mills? Or does it?

      Regards,

      Roger
    • nowdkyle
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        Roger,
        My old Jet M/D has a spring to keep the spindle up. In fact, it
        pulls up if I release the fine feed. This is adjustable on mine.
        Check the manual to see if it is shown.

        Best regards,
        Dick K.

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "rlincolnh" <head@c...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > This problem, which I think is generic to most M/Ds, is getting
        > sufficiently annoying that I want to do something about it. We all
        > know the cause - the backlash between the rack and pinion being
        > opened up when the fine down-feed wheel is advanced while the
        quill
        > is locked in position - so _someone_ must have come up with a
        > solution. I vaguely remember a post sometime earlier this year
        (oops,
        > last year!) where someone made reference to doing something to
        their
        > machine, with a side benefit being either a fix for this problem,
        or
        > which would at least alleviate it.
        >
        > I tried some searches of the archives without success.
        >
        > Is that someone still a member of this group? Or does anyone else
        > have any good ideas?
        >
        > As a matter of interest, why does this symptom not occur on other
        > machines, e.g. turret mills? Or does it?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Roger
      • Allen Sparks
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
          Roger,

          As you may know there is four places that backlash
          comes into play on the mill/drill, rack to pinion,
          bore size of pinion shaft holes in the head, fine feed
          worm to bull gear backlash, and linear play in the
          fine feed worm shaft. Most all the backlash in the
          fine feed can be removed by opening up the mounting
          holes in the fine feed housing to remove worm to bull
          gear backlash. Linear worm backlash fixed by shimming.

          The fix for the pinion to rack backlash, and this is a
          lot of work, is to bore or ream the pinion holes out
          and make a set of eccentric bushings to adj. the
          pinion closer to the rack. I think this is the best
          fix, as it allows for later adj. for wear. Probably a
          max. of .050 throw on bushings. One might also make a
          new pinion shaft with oversized pinion.

          The only other thing you can do is to keep a slight
          drag on the spindle with the clamp, but this doesn't
          stop a cutter/spindle from getting sucked down.

          Lots of things have been tried, gas charged cylinders,
          cables and counter weights, springs, you name it.

          Sparky

          --- rlincolnh <head@...> wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > This problem, which I think is generic to most M/Ds,
          > is getting
          > sufficiently annoying that I want to do something
          > about it. We all
          > know the cause - the backlash between the rack and
          > pinion being
          > opened up when the fine down-feed wheel is advanced
          > while the quill
          > is locked in position - so _someone_ must have come
          > up with a
          > solution. I vaguely remember a post sometime earlier
          > this year (oops,
          > last year!) where someone made reference to doing
          > something to their
          > machine, with a side benefit being either a fix for
          > this problem, or
          > which would at least alleviate it.
          >
          > I tried some searches of the archives without
          > success.
          >
          > Is that someone still a member of this group? Or
          > does anyone else
          > have any good ideas?
          >
          > As a matter of interest, why does this symptom not
          > occur on other
          > machines, e.g. turret mills? Or does it?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Roger

          http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
        • gerepairman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
            My Enco m/d has a clutch on the end of the quill handle. I always
            bring the quill down to the work, lock the quill lock,engage the fine
            feed indexed to "0" , unlock the quill lock & use the fine feed from
            there. Are you moving the fine feed with the lock engaged? I lock
            while milling & unlock to adjust, then relock. With the fine feed
            clutch engaged, my quill stays put. britt