The chips flew

  • vor503rf
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
      I had a an old machinist friend come by last night to show
      me a few things on the RF-31 mill. We changed out the chuck
      arbor for the shell mill unit and refaced a large piece of
      aluminum in one pass. Now this is what I call making chips,
      they really will fly too!

      We went over the service points, the oiler ports on all four
      cranking handles, got those, but what about the quill area?
      The directions don't cover if this area needs grease or oil
      or how to procede with routine maintenance.

      I need to make or buy a wedge to remove the chuck. Some time
      in the near future I will need a chuck to take up to a 3/4
      inch bit. It looks like the existing chuck is JT-6 on the
      taper, I'd like to confirm this before I go shopping. Any
      advice on keyless vs keyed chucks still being able to use
      larger end mills on occasion?

      Richard.
    • Jerry Stephenson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
        Leave the arbor in your old chuck and buy a new arbor for your new chuck. They're less than $5 for an import like the one that came with the machine.

        If you want to good ball bearing chuck, the old standard is a Jacobs 16N.  I'm very happy with my rohm keyless chucks.

        However, if you're drilling 3/4" holes, just use a 3/4" collet or endmill holder.  If you're drilling 23/32" holes, you'll need a 3/4" chuck.  cheers, Jerry
        I had a an old machinist friend come by last night to show
        me a few things on the RF-31 mill.  We changed out the chuck
        arbor for the shell mill unit and refaced a large piece of
        aluminum in one pass.  Now this is what I call making chips,
        they really will fly too!

        We went over the service points, the oiler ports on all four
        cranking handles, got those, but what about the quill area?
        The directions don't cover if this area needs grease or oil
        or how to procede with routine maintenance.

        I need to make or buy a wedge to remove the chuck.  Some time
        in the near future I will need a chuck to take up to a 3/4
        inch bit.  It looks like the existing chuck is JT-6 on the
        taper, I'd like to confirm this before I go shopping.  Any
        advice on keyless vs keyed chucks still being able to use
        larger end mills on occasion?

        Richard.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • kmslinda
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
          Any
          > advice on keyless vs keyed chucks still being able to use
          > larger end mills on occasion?
          >
          > Richard.

          It's not a good idea to mill with a chuck, especially a "keyless
          chuck". The shanks on drills are usually soft at the chuck end,
          while endmills are hard and tend to slip in chucks, causing the
          end mill to pull out of the chuck. Use a endmill holder or collet
          to mill with. You will save money in the long run by not destroying
          your chucks.

          Gerry
        • GSNEFF
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
            Add to Gerry's advice the fact the drill chuck is on a JT taper and when you side load it with a mill it is gonna come off and then you will be excited :)
            > advice on keyless vs keyed chucks still being able to use
            > larger end mills on occasion?
            >
            > Richard.

            It's not a good idea to mill with a chuck, especially a "keyless
            chuck". The shanks on drills are usually soft at the chuck end,
            while endmills are hard and tend to slip in chucks, causing the
            end mill to pull out of the chuck. Use a endmill holder or collet
            to mill with. You will save money in the long run by not destroying
            your chucks.

            Gerry

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • gerepairman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
              Another reason to use collets w/ endmills is the fact that endmill
              will pull the chuck off the arbor. britt

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "kmslinda" <gerry@z...> wrote:
              > Any
              > > advice on keyless vs keyed chucks still being able to use
              > > larger end mills on occasion?
              > >
              > > Richard.
              >
              > It's not a good idea to mill with a chuck, especially a "keyless
              > chuck". The shanks on drills are usually soft at the chuck end,
              > while endmills are hard and tend to slip in chucks, causing the
              > end mill to pull out of the chuck. Use a endmill holder or collet
              > to mill with. You will save money in the long run by not destroying
              > your chucks.
              >
              > Gerry
            • Marv De Beque
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
                If you don't tighten the collet really tight the end mill will also creep
                out of the collet. This isn't too much of a problem with small end mills,
                but larger ones taking deep cuts will tend to get pulled out.

                You can buy end mill holders for your machine.

                Marv

              • transdoctor3@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
                  Marv, was that you who had the accident with endmill going into table or was that someone
                  else that learned their lesson