Where to buy vises for Los Angeles folks. Enco cheaper but high freight cost.

  • walkonmars
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
      OK, looks like I'll order the RF-31 from Bills Tool Crib and pick it
      up in Los Angeles.
      As for other heavy vices and tooling...I want to go with a swivel
      vise. How much worse in holding tolerances and flateness than
      standard swivel base vises?

      Where to buy? For example, Enco has vises for $85, monthly special
      (6", swivel base) but needs $70 to ship(Yikes!).
      BTC has one for $120.
      If I do the math, BTC but anyone sees another source for tooling that
      is better in the long run?

      Tom
    • Corey
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
        HF is another option (free shipping).   I got my 6" swivel from J&L because I was able to talk them into shipping UPS rather than truck and it saved me $$$.  Enco will not ship this item by UPS no matter how much you argue, hence the high cost.

        A smart way to do it is order a bunch of heavy stuff at once because the cost to ship doesn't increase very much once you've hit the truck-freight level.

        Buy yourself the vise, 8" rotary table and a surface plate all at once and you'll minimize the shipping expense.

        Actually, I think J&L is in LA, why not buy the vise in person while you're in the neighborhood...

        cheers,

        walkonmars <walkonmars@...> wrote:
        OK, looks like I'll order the RF-31 from Bills Tool Crib and pick it
        up in Los Angeles.
        As for other heavy vices and tooling...I want to go with a swivel
        vise. How much worse in holding tolerances and flateness than
        standard swivel base vises?

        Where to buy? For example, Enco has vises for $85, monthly special
        (6", swivel base) but needs $70 to ship(Yikes!).
        BTC has one for $120.
        If I do the math, BTC but anyone sees another source for tooling that
        is better in the long run?

        Tom

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Roger Petrella
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
          I just ordered the swivel base (Enco brand) for my Kurt D-60 that
          Enco has on sale a couple of weeks ago. It was shipped via UPS in
          its individual cardboard box inside a larger box along with a few
          small items. The shipping was only $10.36.

          I got the vise from a guy in Florida off ebay for $149.00 and it was
          shipped in a wood box (85 lb. total) by FedEx ground for $72.00. I
          almost got the HF clone with base cheaper, but I just had to have the
          real thing.

          Roger Petrella
          Franktown, CO

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey <corey94945@y...> wrote:
          > HF is another option (free shipping). I got my 6" swivel from J&L
          because I was able to talk them into shipping UPS rather than truck
          and it saved me $$$. Enco will not ship this item by UPS no matter
          how much you argue, hence the high cost.

          > A smart way to do it is order a bunch of heavy stuff at once
          because the cost to ship doesn't increase very much once you've hit
          the truck-freight level.

          > Buy yourself the vise, 8" rotary table and a surface plate all at
          once and you'll minimize the shipping expense.

          > Actually, I think J&L is in LA, why not buy the vise in person
          while you're in the neighborhood...

          > cheers,
          >
          > walkonmars <walkonmars@y...> wrote:
          > OK, looks like I'll order the RF-31 from Bills Tool Crib and pick
          it
          > up in Los Angeles.
          > As for other heavy vices and tooling...I want to go with a swivel
          > vise. How much worse in holding tolerances and flateness than
          > standard swivel base vises?
          >
          > Where to buy? For example, Enco has vises for $85, monthly special
          > (6", swivel base) but needs $70 to ship(Yikes!).
          > BTC has one for $120.
          > If I do the math, BTC but anyone sees another source for tooling
          that
          > is better in the long run?
          >
          > Tom

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Jerry Stephenson
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
            Tom,
            Ask BTC to match Enco's price. They might.  Next, you have HF.  I bought one there for $99 and last I checked, they still had free shipping on things over $50.  The photo shows no swivel base but it indeed has one.  I am very happy with this vise.  I bought another vise used from a guy up in LA and resold it to a friend.  I believe he said he got it on sale at Rutland for about $100.  It was also a nice vise and my friend is very happy with it. --Jerry

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
              Why not consider the 5" vise from Enco (#425-7251 with base). It
              doesn't require truck shipping and is $83.95. This vise IMO is
              probably the optimum size for the RF-31 machines. It doesn't restrict
              Y axis movement as much as the 6" vise and yet is considerably more
              substantial than the 4" size. Only thing about the Enco vise (I own a
              4" one) is that unless the quality has improved since I bought mine 3
              years ago, you may have to make some alterations to get it square.
              It's not a Kurt, but is probably worth $84. Another suggestion is to
              buy the swivel version and then take it off and bolt the vise directly
              to the table. It just takes up space unless you really need it (once a
              year on average).

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "walkonmars" <walkonmars@y...> wrote:
              > OK, looks like I'll order the RF-31 from Bills Tool Crib and pick it
              > up in Los Angeles.
              > As for other heavy vices and tooling...I want to go with a swivel
              > vise. How much worse in holding tolerances and flateness than
              > standard swivel base vises?
              >
              > Where to buy? For example, Enco has vises for $85, monthly special
              > (6", swivel base) but needs $70 to ship(Yikes!).
              > BTC has one for $120.
              > If I do the math, BTC but anyone sees another source for tooling that
              > is better in the long run?
              >
              > Tom
            • thumbtrap43
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Stephenson" <stephejl@a...> wrote:
                > Tom,
                > Ask BTC to match Enco's price. They might. Next, you have HF. I bought one there for $99 and last I checked, they still had free shipping on things over $50. The photo shows no swivel base but it indeed has one. I am very happy with this vise.

                I can verify that it does have the swivel base - mine just came. All 93 pounds of it. Free shipping makes HF hard to beat for that particular vice. I haven't gotten to play with it yet - I was about half way done with my stand when a big nasty smokey stick welding and grinding and more grinding project grabbed the priority interrupt.
              • Jerry Stephenson
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
                  Including yours and mine I know of a total of 3 recent HF vice purchases and they all came with the swivel base. --Jerry