[mill_drill] R-8 or MT3

  • j.c.gerber@tbwil.ch
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 20, 2001

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 5:26 PM
      Subject: Re: [mill_drill] R-8 or MT3

      Get the R8 it is a standard in North America with readily available tooling.
      The MT3 is a European (UK) ...............!!!!!!!!!

      "No Steve, DIN Standard"

      standard and whilst it is found over here in many
      plants tooling tends to be more expensive.
      Steve Roberts
      Professional Engineer

      I really have to tease you with the CONTINENT!!

      Jean-Claude, Switzerland
    • Ward M.
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 21, 2001
        I'd insist on the R-8 taper because it's more rigid than a 3MT toolholder.  Also, as has been stated by others, the taper can be released much more easily than a Morse taper.  By the way, don't use collets for holding end mills, they don't hold the milling cutter sufficiently tight to counter the side forces encountered while milling.  Collets for the mill (R-8 or Morse taper, that is) are used to hold drills, reamers and other tools that need to have concentricity, but don't have side load.  I know that some people do use collets for milling cutters, but I also know of quite a few that have had problems doing so.  Because most end mills cut with an "up"spiral, the cutters tend to pull themselves out of the collet and deeper into the work.  This is generally considered bad and can also be quite dangerous.  You may (or maybe not) have heard people talk about cutters "walking" out of a collet.  Please note that Erickson type collets are generally considered an exception to this rule and work well for this although a little expensive for home shop use.

        Thanks,

        Ward M.

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 21, 2001
          Ahh but you European guys always steal good English idea's and then some years later claim them as your own!!
          Steve R

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 21, 2001
            About Morse tapers in millers. My Clausing came with #2 MT collets. They
            are different from those for the lathe, in that they have a much longer
            gripping surface, and so far, have worked very well, side loads & all. Just
            my experience.
            Mert
            "The more fundamental the truth, the more politically incorrect is the
            mention thereof."

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 21, 2001
              Of course! and it works the other way, too!

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 21, 2001
                You are right, it is true, i.e. I stole tea drinking idea during my 2 years stay in the UK and now it is part my continental life!!
                By the way how many projects have you accumulated by now since your idea of retirement ?
                Jean-Claude

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 21, 2001
                  On 21 Sep 01, at 0:27, Ward M. wrote:

                  > cutters "walking" out of a collet. Please note that Erickson type collets
                  > are generally considered an exception to this rule and work well for this
                  > although a little expensive for home shop use.

                  Are you talking about the "Pozilock" collets?

                  I"m using these and they're great -- you get the best of both worlds --
                  excellent concentricity and there's no way a mill can pull out of the
                  holder.

                  These collets use endmills that have a threaded portion on the end of
                  the shank. This engages the top of the collet -- thus preventing any
                  axial forces from moving the milling cutter in or out of the collet.

                  Why compromise? :-)
                • Skip Evans
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 21, 2001
                    Go with R8. It is standard in USA.

                    Skip_evans@...
                    Alvin, TX
                    http://skipevans.homestead.com
                    "It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken
                    from you."

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 24, 2001
                      Oh Jean-Claude this old dog has not learned to say "no" and to have the telephone number changed. I sold off most of the business some months ago and kept only two what I thought ere small accounts to pay for the "toy's" but much to my amazement they have both grown sizable. The crane business has gone mad again thus my back log is substantial. I will however at the end of this year have to close it down as my accountant say's it is madness at my age as the government end up clawing most of it back so one ends up working for nothing.
                      Steve Roberts
                      Professional Engineer

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 29, 2001
                        Hi Jean-Claude,
                        The list is ever increasing, as items drop off the bottom completed many more get added to the top! It is like the garden (oriental in my case) it is a never ending project always changing and improving.
                        I am a founding member of the ROMEO club which stands for Retired Old Men Eating Out and I hardly am able to make time to attend our weekly oggling of younge things.
                        Steve Roberts
                        Professional Engineer