About some milling-drilling machines

  • italodancer79
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2003
      Hi everybody, I'm Max from Spain, Europe, and I'm new on this group.
      I was those last days looking here for a small milling-drilling
      machine to buy. I want to buy a geared (not belted) machine, and with
      the header runing on prismatic V-guides (not on a steel column). I
      found some dealers selling similar machines with diferent names.
      After some investigation I found that basically there are two
      diferent machines, one of them the SANOU RF 40
      (http://www.sanouchuck.com), and the other the ZAY 7045 FG from a
      manufacturer called WILLING TAILLING or something like this. For the
      first one I have to pay about 3900 euros, and for the second one,
      only the falf, about 1950 euros. I can pay any of the machines, but I
      think that 3900 euros is a stole. I want to make precision jobs, and
      the question is if precision of the machines is really diferent.

      One of the thinks worries me is the trueness of the spindle. I have
      been said that big profesional milling machines has about 0.01 mm
      radius concentricity (if you make a hole the true center of this hole
      is positioned in a circle of 0.01 mm of radius, or 0.02 mm of
      diameter), and I'm worried about the concentricity of the two
      machines. Has somebody some data of this kind about this machines?

      Thanks for the answers and we'll be in contact,

      Max
    • rgsparber@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2003
        Max,

        First of all, hello! We were in Spain in September for vacation and loved it.

        I will attempt to address 2 of your concerns:

        Precision - given that you have or will develop skill, precision is limited by the machine's rigidity. My machine is a RF-30 and weighs 500 pounds. With care, I have been able to machine within 0.3 thousands of an inch. If you simply rest your hand on the head while milling, it can have a large impact on accuracy (a bad one).

        Is this a concern of yours? Head "tram" (vertical alignment) - all machines have adjustments for this but some, like mine, don't make it easy. My head was off 30 thou when I bought it. By adding shims under the column I was able to bring it back into true. It really was not hard to do. For the final 0.1 thou of alignment, I used a torque wrench to insure consistent tightening of the 4 bolts. So I would not worry about vertical alignment of the head.

        You said radius concentricity so the above discussion about tramming may not be your issue. Could you be worried about spindle play? With proper loading of the tapered bearings, they should have no play. Clamping the spindle should remove the remaining play. Please describe your concern a little more.

        Rick
[...]

      • accuratemike
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2003
          The Soanouchuck site shows a Rong Fu machine. They may be an exporter
          of these or they are cloning them (quite unabashedly). See them at
          http://www.rongfu.com . Look at the JFC machines. Tiawanese Rong Fu's
          are about $2k and up. The Chinese (mainland) machines are usually
          $1395 (asking price). See the comparison .xls in the files section for
          more poop. With a bit of fine tuning any of these machines can do good
          work. I got a good deal on a Rong Fu JFC45N2F that was banged up in
          transit. If it weren't for this, I probably would have gone for a
          clone. Good hunting, MIKE