Re: [mill_drill] Re: RF45's @ Penn Tool (cheap)

  • Jerry Kimberlin
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
      Thomas E. Jones wrote:

      >Penn-Tool sold me one of theirs half-price. It isn't clear
      >how bad the damage is, though. Initially your post suggests
      >just cosmetic stuff, but I'm a little worried that damage will
      >be worse than we anticipate. I'm also worried as every site I
      >see mentions different specs for cross-slide travel and other
      >things. I hope I don't get a $1200 anchor.

      I think you will probably be lucky to get such a machine at half-price.
      Penn tool is well known as a quality supplier and won't sell stuff that
      is damaged beyond use. I wouldn't worry about it. You won't get any
      cracked castings or bent lead screws.

      JerryK
    • accuratemike
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2003
        Thomas,
        I don't watch the board for a weekend and, someone replies to one of
        my posts.:) I hope everything is rosy. They made a special effort to
        call me back and tell me about them. I asked about "real" table
        travels on the DM45 clone and, someone picked up on that and, thought
        I might be interested in the RF's as well. I have no affiliation with
        them, and have only ordered tooling and such from them in the past.
        Always excellent service. BTW, the same has been true of Enco but, WT
        didn't honor a "too good to be true" advertised price on a vise for me
        the other day. I have had good (some so good I won't reveal them here,
        just say sloppy shipping practices can work both ways for the
        customer) and bad experiences with HF, but I will always go back. Oh,
        and they (Penn Tool that is. Got off track, didn't I?) said the
        travels of the DM45 are "as listed", still waiting for someone to
        verify that "in the iron". Good luck, let us know what they look like.
        I'm grinding my teeth, trying not to use plastic for the mill, and I'm
        a few Ben's short of enough to dive in. MIKE