Re: [mill_drill] Re: Help with HF 33686 Freight Delivery

  • mertbaker
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
      Even so. That way they tend to roll & snap.
      Mert

      MertBaker@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
        When I ordered my mill/drill from HF, I had no idea which trucking
        company they would use. Turns out they used Old Dominion Freight for
        a delivery to central Kentucky. That's where the fun started. No
        lift gate delivery option available - their terminal was so small
        they could not even load my 3/4 ton pickup from the dock - so there
        the crate sat with no way to get it delivered. Finally, the manager
        of a local farm equipment store agreed to accept delivery and unload
        the crate with his fork lift and transfer it to my pickup - from
        there I unloaded with an 2 ton engine hoist - very carefully as the
        hoist arm was almost fully entended to get enough height to clear the
        crate in the pickup bed. Although the delivery process finally went
        OK, I fault the trucking company for their lack of facilities -
        something I doubt HF could have known ahead of time. It has also
        make me very shy about ordering anything heavy from HF in the future,
        because I don't know if I could set up the same arrangements again.

        I don't know if you can select a trucking company when you order from
        HF, wouldn't hurt to ask - but you do need to check out your local
        freight terminals and see what delivery facilities they have.
        Trucking companies are not created equal !!

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, nkefalas@a... wrote:
        > Does anyone have any experience with getting the HF 33686 delivered
        > their home ?
      • Marv Frankel
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
          Van,
          If you find a local trucking company with a lift gate available, call
          HF and make a lot of noise. Tell them of the problems you had, and that they
          are no longer on your vendor's list. I find that email is more effective
          than a phone call, and I always try to talk to someone in a supervisory
          position. You'd be surprised at how much grease the squeaky wheel gets.

          Marv Frankel
          Los Angeles

          > When I ordered my mill/drill from HF, I had no idea which trucking
          > company they would use. Turns out they used Old Dominion Freight for
          > a delivery to central Kentucky. That's where the fun started. No
          > lift gate delivery option available - their terminal was so small
          > they could not even load my 3/4 ton pickup from the dock - so there
          > the crate sat with no way to get it delivered. Finally, the manager
          > of a local farm equipment store agreed to accept delivery and unload
          > the crate with his fork lift and transfer it to my pickup - from
          > there I unloaded with an 2 ton engine hoist - very carefully as the
          > hoist arm was almost fully entended to get enough height to clear the
          > crate in the pickup bed. Although the delivery process finally went
          > OK, I fault the trucking company for their lack of facilities -
          > something I doubt HF could have known ahead of time. It has also
          > make me very shy about ordering anything heavy from HF in the future,
          > because I don't know if I could set up the same arrangements again.
          >
          > I don't know if you can select a trucking company when you order from
          > HF, wouldn't hurt to ask - but you do need to check out your local
          > freight terminals and see what delivery facilities they have.
          > Trucking companies are not created equal !!
          >
          > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, nkefalas@a... wrote:
          > > Does anyone have any experience with getting the HF 33686 delivered
          > > their home ?

        • tailshaft56
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mertbaker" <MertBaker@p...>
            wrote:
            > Even so. That way they tend to roll & snap.
            > Mert
            > You could nail or screw in acouple of spacer 2bys. this would keep
            them aligned and prevent them from turning flat.
            > MertBaker@p...

            Service.

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.