Re: CNC sefl learn

  • Damon
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3, 2003
      I just did the conversion on my Bridgeport Series1/2J.
      It's really not all that scary. Darned impressive when you
      see that much mass moving that quickly. AND still managing
      to make something accurate!

      cad-cam-edm-dro group on yahoo has knowledegeable folks, and some
      not-so. there is also a CCED_archive group, just for archives
      and tidbits of CCED. No real dialogue there, but browse the files.

      Steppers/Servos is probably the first question. Control for
      either is pretty easy. Gecko makes a great drive for either -
      and almost foolproof. Ballscrews are next if you are looking
      for gnat's hindquarters (will aleviate backlash).

      Get an older PC 350MHz+, a soldering iron, and you should be able
      to get something running pretty quick.

      TurboCNC for Dos is pretty good, esp considering the price.
      Freebie for eval and $20 if you like it, I think. Great for at
      least debugging your setup. EMC runs under Linux, and likely
      will require more computer savvy to get it running. I highly
      recommend it (yup, free) if you are comfy enough to try linux
      or can maybe offer up a couple of pizzas to the neighborhood
      computer geek. [hope that didn't offend anyone here!]

      -Damon

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Powell" <tppjr@h...> wrote:
      > Time to get boned up on all this CNC stuff. Is there somewhere or
      where is the best place I can go to find out all the ends and outs,
      dos and don'ts so when I go to CNC my RF-45 I don't go into it blind.

      > Stuff like, stepper types, number of wires used for what, which are
      better for what. Power supplies, where to get what type, volts,
      amps. Controllers, uni-polar, bi-polar ???????

      > Thanks for any and all info.
      > ====================================
      > Thomas Powell (VMOA 741)
      > 1994 NOS injected T-Boost sales
      > Tourmaster V-Max Clear clutch cover sales
      > "LAFGAS" Handlebar brackets
      > tppjr@h...
      > http://imageevent.com/tppjr (photopage)
      > ====================================
    • Thomas Powell
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
        I sent to the cad group too.  Could not find the gecko group, would be interested in that.
             Contact me at: tppjr@...
        http://imageevent.com/tppjr (photopage)
        Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 2:27 PM
        Subject: Re: [mill_drill] CNC sefl learn

        Thomas Powell wrote:

        > Time to get boned up on all this CNC stuff.  Is there somewhere or
        > where is the best place I can go to find out all the ends and outs,
        > dos and don'ts so when I go to CNC my RF-45 I don't go into it blind.

        > Stuff like, stepper types, number of wires used for what, which are
        > better for what.  Power supplies,  where to get what type, volts,
        > amps.  Controllers, uni-polar, bi-polar ???????

        Best place is the Yahoo Group:  Cad_Cam_Dro_Edm   About 3000 guys that
        know everything you want to know.  Also,  you could go to the Gecko
        Drives group, where you will find out about everything using steppers,
        stepper drivers, etc.  Isn't there a Yahoo Group for RF-45?

        JerryK

      • Jerry Kimberlin
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
          Thomas Powell wrote:

          > I sent to the cad group too. Could not find the gecko group, would be
          > interested in that.

          The true name of the group is Geckodrive.

          Also see Mariss's site: http://www.geckodrive.com/products.htbml

          JerryK
        • Mark Howard
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
            Jason,

            Is there any chance you could do a write-up on-list or post some pics? I am certainly interested and I'm sure many others are too.

            I'm interested to know if someone has used the quill for the Z axis or the whole head on the dovetailed column. It seems to me that the quill is easier to convert if you can get over the backlash issues. Moving the whole head with a ball-screw conversion would be great but you'd probably need to counterbalance the head due to it's weight?

            What did you do? Did you use servos or steppers and what sizes? etc.. etc....

            Regards

            MARK

            Mark Howard

            I have retrofitted an rf-45, contact me off list I will give you the low down!

            Jason.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
              List,

              As soon as I get a chance I will do a complete write up, wont be for a couple of weeks though.

              My machine is driven by servo's and geckodrives, I am driving the whole head via an 1" ballscrew. The head is nicely counterbalanced by a chain/sprocket setup and a lead weight.

              My whole machine is enclosed with sliding doors etc. Looks like a fadal emc. All the chips nicely fall into a chip tray and the coolant is filtered off that and recycled... I wanted a machine as close as possible to a real VMC.

              I will post a couple of very early pics of my motor mounts, note that these were prototypes. The new ones are fully enclosed to keep all that coolant out.

              I will do my best to get more pics and info asap.

              Hope that helps some.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
                I guess you guys didn't see the post on this group mid-August by this fellow Tim who said he'd posted info about his mill-drill retrofit on the net?
                Pretty complete explanation of how to do it in a low tech fashion..lots of detail pictures too!

                http://www.tomsinstitute.com/G1005%20CNC%20Conversion.htm

                other links for mill drill CNC retrofits:

                for plans/case histories/source for ideas etc:

                http://www.homecnc.info/cnc-main.html
                http://www.super-tech.com/root/drilmill.htm
                http://plsntcov.8m.com/grizzley.html
                http://www.bmumford.com/cncmill/

                motor size "rule of thumb" recommendations:

                http://www.flashcutcnc.com/html/ret_psg.html

                Needless to say I'm researching this too!

                cheers,
                Mark