Axes resolution and post problems

  • Torsten
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
      I have reason to belive the dial reading on
      the fine feed Z-Axes is quite a way off.
      My Machine is a Jet JMD-18.
      Maybe some of the guys having DRO's could
      comment about the acuracy of the dial here.
      I would like to know how much it is of and
      may come up with some comon spread here.
      I have been counting revolutions here when
      machining and found I was quite a bit off on
      larger distances.
      I am also wondering on how to calculate the
      ratio here it get a bit confusing exactly
      where to messure the gear circumference to
      come up with the circular to linear ratio.
      Has anybody worked on this before?

      I seam to be having problems to post this message
      it came back with a strange error about Bccs settings.
      I try this with HTML disabled and see what happends.
      I am able to post on other groups thou.
    • Jason Cox
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
        Torsten,

        You could use a dial indicator to measure dial readings vs. actual depth
        travelled and work out a ratio from there.

        Regards,

        Jason Cox.

        > I have reason to belive the dial reading on
        > the fine feed Z-Axes is quite a way off.
        > My Machine is a Jet JMD-18.
        > Maybe some of the guys having DRO's could
        > comment about the acuracy of the dial here.
        > I would like to know how much it is of and
        > may come up with some comon spread here.
        > I have been counting revolutions here when
        > machining and found I was quite a bit off on
        > larger distances.
        > I am also wondering on how to calculate the
        > ratio here it get a bit confusing exactly
        > where to messure the gear circumference to
        > come up with the circular to linear ratio.
        > Has anybody worked on this before?
        >
        > I seam to be having problems to post this message
        > it came back with a strange error about Bccs settings.
        > I try this with HTML disabled and see what happends.
        > I am able to post on other groups thou.

      • Jerry Stephenson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
          Once you have a DRO, you never look at the dial again.

          But I've heard that some are off quite a bit--perhaps a metric to english conversion.

          Mount a dial indicator on your spindle, take all the backlash out of it and stop the dial at zero.  Set the dial indicator to zero.  crank one of the .100" and the see how much the other one moved and you'll have the ratio.  If it is .93 or something like that, you'll get good at doing arithmetic in your head which is good for you and keeps you young.

          but seriously, the $50 and two hours I spent installing the DRO are some of the best money/time I've spent in the shop.  I recommend it.

          Cheers,
          Jerry

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Cox" <sinergy@o...> wrote:
            > Torsten,
            >
            > You could use a dial indicator to measure dial readings vs. actual
            depth
            > travelled and work out a ratio from there.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Jason Cox.

            Gee thanks, I got so involved trying to calculate
            the gearing ratio I forgot the obvious.
          • Dave Berkey

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
                Torsten,
                I had the same trouble with my RF31. .100 on the
                Z-feed actually advanced the quill by .97 It had me
                scratching my head until I figured it out.

                Take a look here to see how I mounted one of the cheap
                DRO's. It works great and is a real timesaver.

                cheers,

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • ppump11578@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
                  At ,my  advanced age I confuse easily and am not sure what an RF45?;is but my far eastern 500 pound mill has a fine down feed via angle gears on the right of the main column and suffers from cronic eccentricity in the gearing department.The easy way out is as someone else I think has already said to use a DRO on the Z axis,  just keep the spindle lock on the left of the column tightish to stop it giving you a suprise by suddenly advanceing when you least expected it to and this seem a reaonsable fudge to get round the problem.
                  regards

                  Phil Pumphrey
                  ppump11578@...