Re: [mill_drill] Motor Problem - HELP !

  • lenord@gototelescopes.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
      Could you be drawing too much amperage for the circuit ?
      ISTR my mill doing this when I had too small of an extension cord on
      it..........

      FWIW
      Lenord

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
        Your motor probably has both a start cap and a run
        cap. disconect power to machine, caps are mounted on
        the motor, disconect then, and short the wires or
        terminals on them several times. Then check with a ohm
        meter, will show either a short 0 ohms or the meter
        will show some resitance, if show some resitance
        probably ok. If meter shows open cap, its bad.

        --- Charles Randall Couch <randy9944@...> wrote:
        > I have a new HF 42827 (ZAY7032G) mill-drill which
        > has been working
        > properly until thirty minutes ago. The problem
        > appears to be with
        > the motor or with the starting circuit (?) and is
        > manifested as
        > follows:
        >
        > when the switch is enabled (either forward or
        > reverse), the motor
        > makes a loud humming noise and the spindle rotates
        > v-e-r-y slowly,
        > after five seconds or so, the household circuit
        > breaker trips.
        >
        > The spindle and the motor turn freely by hand and
        > the measured
        > voltage at the forward/reverse switch is 120 volts.
        >
        > Suggestions please ? I live in a rural area, far
        > away from any HF
        > outlets and the idea of sending this monster back to
        > them is
        > appalling !
        >
        > Thanks for your help ...

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Mark Ahmann
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2003
          Did you make sure the motor is wired correctly for 110v, Maybe its set for 220v, I would double ck this and make sure it is right.