RE: [mill_drill] Digest Number 773

  • r-evans4
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003
      >Message: 1
      > Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:40:20 -0000
      > From: "leasingham_connelly" <martin.connelly@...>
      >Subject: Re: Lathe dimensions

      --snip--

      >With lathes swing takes into account items such as guards and the
      >saddle/carriage. in the centre of that we are talking about.

      --snip--

      >Martin

      One might think that this is the case, but it is not. The "swing" of a lathe
      is the diameter that can be turned over the ways. The "swing over the
      carriage" is always smaller than the "swing." To further complicate things,
      some lathes have a removable section of the ways, near the headstock, which
      allows the "swing in the gap" to be greater than the "swing."
      Rupert

      Rupert N. Evans
      101 W Windsor Rd. #4107, Urbana, IL 61802-6697;
      217-337-7833
      Author of Book-On-Demand Publishing
      I love to print and bind books and make model stationary steam engines