New mill decisions

  • ktarkir
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 30 9:54 PM
      OK, I know you get tired of this but I am making the final decision
      on a new mill. I read through the last several months posts and I
      guess I missed a great deal on the Enco 9X42 at 2,295.00. Oh well
      that's life.

      So here is my list. I would appreciate any and all comments and
      reccomendations even if I have missed a unit.

      Grizzly G3616 Cons: only 14" between spindle and table (although it
      says both 14" and 16"), Belt drive, Pros: has ram head, builtin
      powerfeed and oiler, full sized. Price is good at 2,195.00 and is
      only a couple of hours away so I could pick it up.

      Enco 20" square column mill/drill Cons: Min spindle to table is 10"
      which seems very limited, no ram head, not full sized Pros: gear
      speed change, compact size, 18" head to table Price 1,585.00

      Enco: 8X30 Cons: Not full sized, low height just 66" (my current unit
      has the table set at 43") seems like this is too low to be
      comfortable. Pros: Spindle to table is 16.75",

      As I write this I think I am leaning towards the Grizzly unit. But
      the spindle max to table does bother me.

      Dennis Tarkir
    • Rupert Evans
      Message 37 of 37 , Oct 31, 2007
        I have used a Wholesale Tools dovetail geared head machine for four
        years. I paid 1195 plus shipping. It is an excellent machine and the
        biggest bargain IMHO.
        Rupert