R3

  • j54522000
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
      Just got my R31 what the best way to pick one of these up to put on
      the stand put chain around the head or where I dont want to damage
      it thank JIM
    • Joe Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
        On my rf30 I used a nylon strap purchased from WT Tools. I put wood blocks on either side of the head under the sheet metal till the strap didn't touch. Used a "cheery picker" engine hoist. No problems.

        Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

        Just got my R31 what the best way to pick one of these up to put on
        the stand put chain around the head or where I dont want to damage
        it thank JIM

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705016061:HM/A=1564416/R=0/SIG=11ti81skc/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164797&partid=3170658>
        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=881759029>

      • Howard Christian
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003

          I also got one of these about 6 mos ago. Please tell me how you like it. I have had problems -w-vibration at the higher three spindle speeds. Also the manual talks about filling the units lubrication??? All in all I like it except-w-carbide I NEED the higher speeds so please let me know how you are doing with it. I have an eye on a real mill and having spent a fair amt on the R3 I don't want to buy it and won't buy it unless I can't get this thing to run well. As for the moving I would try and find a friend-w-a tow truck. I am lucky enough to have a buddy-w-one and he used his lift to pick it and set it. It was a real breeze. I can tell you  one this. It will take a machine to move. You may be able to lift it-w-several friends and beers but if it gets loose you are sunk. Good luck.
          Howard in Wilmingotn, NC

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "j54522000" <j5452@n...> wrote:
            > Just got my R31 what the best way to pick one of these up to put on
            > the stand put chain around the head or where I dont want to damage
            > it thank JIM

            What I did was take it apart and move the pices.
            This will take a bit longer but works O.K. if you dont
            have a cherrypicker.

            1) remove the motor
            2) lift the head of the column takes 2 people
            3) remove the column
            4) the base with the table can be picked up by 2 people.

            If you are a fairly strong kind a guy you probably can
            do this by yourself if needed.
            Good Luck
          • jimmac70817
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
              Take a look at this site. http://www.truetex.com/machinery.htm A
              real good method of lifting, works great. I used a hole saw to cut a
              hole in the bootom of the belt gaurd.
              Hope it helps
              Jim

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "j54522000" <j5452@n...> wrote:
              > Just got my R31 what the best way to pick one of these up to put on
              > the stand put chain around the head or where I dont want to damage
              > it thank JIM
            • j5452
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                thank everybody got up on the stand now to see what it will do JIM
                real good method of lifting, works great. I used a hole saw to cut a
                hole in the bootom of the belt gaurd.
                  Hope it helps
                   Jim

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "j54522000" <j5452@n...> wrote:
                > Just got my R31 what the best way to pick one of these up to put on
                > the stand put chain around the head or where I dont want to damage
                > it thank JIM

                ---
              • Jerry Stephenson
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                  Jim,
                  I moved mine with an engine hoist/crane.  If you put a 4x4 or a couple of 2x4's under the head and then sling both sides, it balances pretty well.  It was an easy one man job with no disassembly.  I borrowed the engine hoist from a neighbor but if you can't do that, HF has one that goes on sale for $159 or something really cheap like that or there are 3 or 4 places that rent them very near my home including true value hardware for about $20/day. You can probably rent one where you live. Cheers, Jerry

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003

                    Howard,
                    Belt vibration at higher speeds is generally easy to correct.  Most people don't realize that pulleys should be PERFECTLY aligned and don't check the as found condition.  use a precision ruler across the top of each pully to ensure it is exactly aligned with the next one.  If that doesn't fix it, then try the linked belt.  Unfortunately, it is kindof expensive in this size.  I'd guess it is the alignment of the pulleys.   Cheers, Jerry

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003

                      Forgot to mention, upgrading to new US made belts will help if you can't find/afford the linked belts.  --Jerry

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 3, 2003

                        I have only had this machine a few weeks and have not looked at the belts while they run at these high speeds. I will do so soon. I have seen that another person used the linked belts and was going to inquire about them. Anyone know the prices?

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 4, 2003
                          I have a similar machine and a similar sized lathe. Converting the lathe to
                          link belting was a no brainer since to put belts on it requires removal of
                          the spindle. The increase in performance was so dramatic that I immediately
                          put them on the mill. Much less vibration, less noise, etc. Since the belts
                          should last for many years the extra cost is worth it. Only complaint I have
                          is that the lengths sold are either way too long or to short so had to buy 2
                          pkg and have a usless length left over AND my machines take 2 different
                          sizes.
                          PJH
                        • Howard Christian
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 4, 2003
                            Can you tell me where you got the link belts and what would I expect to pay please?
                            Howard Christian

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 4, 2003
                              Howard Christian wrote:
                              > Can you tell me where you got the link belts and what would I expect to
                              > pay please?

                              I got mine at my local bearing supplier. Look in your yellow
                              pages under bearings and you should come up with a local supplier
                              and most carry more than just bearings.

                              Can't say what you might pay and the cost varies by belt width
                              and length. They do come pre-packaged. So you may have some
                              waste lengths. I think I paid around $35.00 for a 60" length of
                              5/8" wide belting.

                              JerryK
                              Richmond, CA
                            • Jerry Stephenson
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 4, 2003
                                The mill drill requires B size belts (about 3/4"). Grizzley and
                                Harbor freight both carry A size (1/2") and 3/8" (I think it's called
                                3L). The B size is harder to find but I did a google search and
                                found this source:

                                http://www.rockrubber.com/products/powertwist/

                                I think 72" is enough to do both belts but you should check first.
                                Perhaps someone wants to buy a longer section and resell it to group
                                members in appropriate lengths.

                                I should mention the following two issues:

                                1. The powertwist belt stands a little higher in the groove and on
                                the largest diameter of one of the pulleys, it rubs the plastic belt
                                gaurd. Unfortunately it is a common speed that I use a lot and I
                                need to figure out a fix.

                                2. The manufacturer recommends not running them backwards. I've
                                been unable to find the basis for this and have run them backwards
                                just fine. I've talked to several other who have done the same. My
                                guess is that in reverse, the have less load carrying capabilities
                                but since we aren't challenging these belts to carry anywhere near
                                their capabilities, that should be fine. However, I make sure the
                                belt guard is secure before running in reverse.

                                Cheers,
                                Jerry

                                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Christian" <ppsi@b...>
                                wrote:
                                > Can you tell me where you got the link belts and what would I
                                expect to pay please?
                                > Howard Christian

                                Service.
                              • Stan Stocker
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 4, 2003
                                  Hi Jerry,

                                  Grizzly has B size Fenner powertwist belting, they sell it in 4 foot
                                  lengths. I bougth two lengths, and have a bit over a foot left over.
                                  Catalog is G8127, price is 19.95 per 4 foot length. It is sold as 5/8
                                  belting, not as B size.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Stan

                                  Jerry Stephenson wrote:
                                  > The mill drill requires B size belts (about 3/4"). Grizzley and
                                  > Harbor freight both carry A size (1/2") and 3/8" (I think it's called
                                  > 3L). The B size is harder to find but I did a google search and
                                  > found this source:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.rockrubber.com/products/powertwist/
                                  <snipped>