newbie hello and Idea

  • fzrpete@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2001
      Hello everyone,
      I am new to this forum and I would like to say hey to all of you Home shop master machinists!! I am in the market for a new milling machine and lathe. I currently own a shoptask 17-20xmtc that I have been working with for about four years. I love this machine but I have recently been getting some jobs from local machine shops that require larger capacity. I was looking at the grizzly 1006 and the 1008 knee mill as well. I like the looks of the 1008 with power feed and the larger capacity but the 3 1/2 inch spindle travel kinda sucks!!! I wonder if the knee travel will make up for the shortcoming. I have read with interest the many posts on this forum and others about the rong fu type mill drills.

      I am curious as to what kind of rigidiy you are getting from the rf30's Is it able to hog out metal like it looks like it could? Is the lack of a good way of aligning the millhead when you move it a big problem? In short, how do you like the machines?

      Anyway my Idea is simple. Why not remove the millhead and column from the base, Mount the column cylinder to the table horizontally and use the travel of the table and a solid mounted scribe to scribe a line all the way down the column's side. Then find or make a collar that will mount to the bottom of the millhead casting around the column that is graduated in degrees. This would allow you to set an accurate zero reference and when the head is moved up or down you just move it to the zero mark and line it up real good and you're back on track!!! In fact you would not even need a collar just a good scribe mark on the bottom of the casting to set your zero if done carefully. Does that sound like it would work to you guys? I don't own one of these machines but I have seen them in the store and a friends shop. I'd say that with a nice fine line scribe mark on the column and on the millhead you should be able to get some decent repeatable accuracy from this method. Has anyone tried this?

      Anyway, I am looking forward to volumes of information on milling machines flowing from this forum in the future and It's nice to meet you all..

      Little Pete