Enco's NEW Dove tail column Drill-Mill!

  • jeffdavis516
    Message 1 of 24 , May 6, 2003
      I see by my new Hot Deals catalog that Enco is now selling a dove
      tail column drill mill. This should be great to convert to CNC.

      Jeff Davis
      http://www.homecnc.info
    • Dan Mauch
      Message 2 of 24 , May 6, 2003
        Message
        The problem with those gear head mill/drills with the dovetail column is the max speed is only 2000 RPM's. I have found my mill drill wanting in that the max speed is 2500 RPM with the stepped pulley. If only they would run at 4000 RPM's.
        BTW that same flyer has the 9X42 mills for only 2395 plus free shipping. I get a nervous twitch everytime I lookt at it and for some reason my hand keeps on reaching for the telphone to call in an order but with my other machines....
        Dan

        Message 3 of 24 , May 6, 2003
          Message
          I have an RF-45 and have to agree that the 2000rpm is way to slow, I have almost finished my cnc conversion and am driving the whole head. Ive been thinking about removing the whole gear setup and run a timing belt inside the head to reach 4-5000rpm... I have to check about the spindle bearings. Im thinking about running a huge servo, say to 5hp for the spindle drive, then I could do rigid tapping.

          What do you think?

          See you.

          Jason.

          Message 4 of 24 , May 7, 2003
            Hello,

            The 1600rpm limit on these mills is fine if you are using your machine
            manually.

            When your machine is retrofitted to cnc the max revs can make a huge
            difference, the higher the revs the higher the feedrate and if your
            machining an extremely complicated 3d part this can shave hours of the
            machining time.

            Also if you plan to use micro endmills for very detailed cnc work (endmills
            come as small as 10thou) you absolutely need extremely high rpms.

            For manual use higher than 1600rpms probably just wouldnt make any
            difference to you.

            Hope that helps!

            Jason.
          • rlincolnh
            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2003
              Here in Aus these are called HM45's. A nice solid (for a mill/drill)
              machine, but they only do 95-1600 rpm. I was a little concerned about
              the low top speed (although I was happy with the low end - some of
              the light knee mills have top speeds around 3000, but minimums of
              230 - 270 rpm, which really turned me off), so I talked to the
              acknowledged toolroom guru at the uni and his words were along the
              lines of 'yeah, maybe a little slow, but you won't really need more
              than that'. Recognizing that it's just for hobby work, won't be
              shifting huge amounts of metal, and that a few extra minutes per cut
              isn't important.

              So what do others think?

              And anyway, that gearhead already makes enough noise at 1600!

              Roger

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Mauch" <dmauch@s...> wrote:
              > The problem with those gear head mill/drills with the dovetail
              column is
              > the max speed is only 2000 RPM's. I have found my mill drill
              wanting in
              > that the max speed is 2500 RPM with the stepped pulley. If only they
              > would run at 4000 RPM's.
              > BTW that same flyer has the 9X42 mills for only 2395 plus free
              shipping.
              > I get a nervous twitch everytime I lookt at it and for some reason
              my
              > hand keeps on reaching for the telphone to call in an order but
              with my
              > other machines....
              > Dan

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
              05
              > 016061:HM/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?
              camp=5
              > 56&lineid=3179269&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>
              >
              > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
              M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egrou
              > pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=654684234>

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            • Mike Fleenor
              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2003
                I am curious why you think 2000 -2500 rpm is too slow?? Before
                plaing an order for a Lathmaster geared head M/D, I spoke with
                several 30yr+ machinists who work in an R&D shop fabricating
                precision components for experiments,etc. and they never use speeds
                higher than 1600rpm on the BP's and that is very rare at best. Their
                work is top notch.

                Why do you need to go faster than 2k?

                I would think the speed ranges with the various dovetail colum M/D's
                entirely adequate for the HSM.

                Mike
              • Corey
                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2003
                  Roger,
                  you've got the right idea. If your speed range is
                  limited, better to lose it at the high-end. You can
                  always compensate by slowing your feed. If the speed
                  at the low-end is too fast you're screwed. A common
                  example is boring a large hole with a boring head.
                  Even at 150rpm, you can really make the machine shake,
                  270rpm would be scary.

                  cheers,
                  --- rlincolnh <head@...> wrote:
                  > Here in Aus these are called HM45's. A nice solid
                  > (for a mill/drill)
                  > machine, but they only do 95-1600 rpm. I was a
                  > little concerned about
                  > the low top speed (although I was happy with the low
                  > end - some of
                  > the light knee mills have top speeds around 3000,
                  > but minimums of
                  > 230 - 270 rpm, which really turned me off), so I
                  > talked to the
                  > acknowledged toolroom guru at the uni and his words
                  > were along the
                  > lines of 'yeah, maybe a little slow, but you won't
                  > really need more
                  > than that'. Recognizing that it's just for hobby
                  > work, won't be
                  > shifting huge amounts of metal, and that a few extra
                  > minutes per cut
                  > isn't important.
                  >
                  > So what do others think?
                  >
                  > And anyway, that gearhead already makes enough noise
                  > at 1600!
                  >
                  > Roger

                  http://search.yahoo.com
                • jim davies
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2003
                    > ... so I talked to the
                    > acknowledged toolroom guru at the uni and his words were along the
                    > lines of 'yeah, maybe a little slow, but you won't really need more
                    > than that'. Recognizing that it's just for hobby work, won't be
                    > shifting huge amounts of metal, and that a few extra minutes per cut
                    > isn't important.
                    >
                    > So what do others think?

                    I reckon he's probably right
                  • Jerry Stephenson

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2003
                        Back to the original topic.....I called Enco today and found that
                        this new drill mill will cost $303 shipping from Atlanta, GA to
                        Richmond, CA (SF Bay area). Additionally, there would be a $50
                        charge for lift-gate service. This is for the $1585 price
                        version that includes the stand. This may be of interest to some
                        people thinking of ordering the machine.

                        Perhaps the 9 x 42 mill at $2395 including free shipping would be
                        of more interest. Wish I had the space - standard lament :-).

                        A question ---- Are the mil/drill stands as shown in the Enco
                        catalog for the dove tail mill drill worth the extra money? I've
                        heard that they are somewhat lacking in stability. Maybe this
                        one is different. Anybody got one?

                        JerryK
                      • Mike Fleenor
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2003
                          Jerry,

                          After checking out several M/D stands I purchased this one from HF
                          for my Lathemaster dovetail column mill to be delivered later this
                          month. http://www.mikefleenor.com/shop/stand_and_base.jpg

                          It is much heavier than the standard m/d stands you see in the
                          various outlets and is rated for 2200lbs.

                          It is much sturdier IMO and although the bolt hole pattern doesn't
                          quite match the ZAY7045 dovetail column machines they will fit. I
                          found it at a local HF store and the manager even discounted it well
                          below the website's price.

                          Mike

                          > A question ---- Are the mil/drill stands as shown in the Enco
                          > catalog for the dove tail mill drill worth the extra money? I've
                          > heard that they are somewhat lacking in stability. Maybe this
                          > one is different. Anybody got one?
                          >
                          > JerryK
                        • Jerry Kimberlin
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2003
                            Mike Fleenor wrote:
                            > Jerry,
                            >
                            > After checking out several M/D stands I purchased this one from HF
                            > for my Lathemaster dovetail column mill to be delivered later this
                            > month.

                            Thanks Mike. I like it a lot better than the one pictured in the
                            ENCO catalog. I have a Harbor Freight store near to me, so I'll
                            have to check it out for local price, etc.

                            JerryK
                          • rlincolnh
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 8, 2003
                              Yeah, thanks Corey, I'm feeling more comfortable with 1600 revs as I
                              talk to others and read comments on this group.

                              I had a fast (and pleasant) response to a query I put to Niagara
                              Cutter about speeds and feeds a couple of weeks ago, and one
                              suggestion from them was to use a spindle speeder if I really wanted
                              a higher speed. But unless someone knows where to get one that won't
                              cost more than the HM45 costs in the first place....

                              Roger

                              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey <corey94945@y...> wrote:
                              > Roger,
                              > you've got the right idea. If your speed range is
                              > limited, better to lose it at the high-end. You can
                              > always compensate by slowing your feed. If the speed
                              > at the low-end is too fast you're screwed. A common
                              > example is boring a large hole with a boring head.
                              > Even at 150rpm, you can really make the machine shake,
                              > 270rpm would be scary.
                              >
                              > cheers,
                              > --- rlincolnh <head@c...> wrote:
                              > > Here in Aus these are called HM45's. A nice solid
                              > > (for a mill/drill)
                              > > machine, but they only do 95-1600 rpm. I was a
                              > > little concerned about
                              > > the low top speed (although I was happy with the low
                              > > end - some of
                              > > the light knee mills have top speeds around 3000,
                              > > but minimums of
                              > > 230 - 270 rpm, which really turned me off), so I
                              > > talked to the
                              > > acknowledged toolroom guru at the uni and his words
                              > > were along the
                              > > lines of 'yeah, maybe a little slow, but you won't
                              > > really need more
                              > > than that'. Recognizing that it's just for hobby
                              > > work, won't be
                              > > shifting huge amounts of metal, and that a few extra
                              > > minutes per cut
                              > > isn't important.
                              > >
                              > > So what do others think?
                              > >
                              > > And anyway, that gearhead already makes enough noise
                              > > at 1600!
                              > >
                              > > Roger

                              > http://search.yahoo.com
                            • Corey
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 8, 2003
                                Jerry,
                                I have an RF31 and also an Enco 8x36. Surprisingly,
                                the knee mill doesn't take up much more space than the
                                Mill drill. I'm up the road in Alameda if you care to
                                take a look (work in Richmond).

                                cheers,
                                --- Jerry Kimberlin <kimberln@...> wrote:
                                > Back to the original topic.....I called Enco today
                                > and found that
                                > this new drill mill will cost $303 shipping from
                                > Atlanta, GA to
                                > Richmond, CA (SF Bay area). Additionally, there
                                > would be a $50
                                > charge for lift-gate service. This is for the $1585
                                > price
                                > version that includes the stand. This may be of
                                > interest to some
                                > people thinking of ordering the machine.
                                >
                                > Perhaps the 9 x 42 mill at $2395 including free
                                > shipping would be
                                > of more interest. Wish I had the space - standard
                                > lament :-).
                                >
                                > A question ---- Are the mil/drill stands as shown
                                > in the Enco
                                > catalog for the dove tail mill drill worth the extra
                                > money? I've
                                > heard that they are somewhat lacking in stability.
                                > Maybe this
                                > one is different. Anybody got one?
                                >
                                > JerryK

                                http://search.yahoo.com
                              • William Abernathy
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 8, 2003
                                  Can't provide any info on the stands. But, I have an RF-30, and live between you
                                  guys, in El Cerrito.

                                  --William

                                  Corey wrote:
                                  > Jerry,
                                  > I have an RF31 and also an Enco 8x36. Surprisingly,
                                  > the knee mill doesn't take up much more space than the
                                  > Mill drill. I'm up the road in Alameda if you care to
                                  > take a look (work in Richmond).
                                  >
                                  > cheers,
                                  > --- Jerry Kimberlin <kimberln@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >>Back to the original topic.....I called Enco today
                                  >>and found that
                                  >>this new drill mill will cost $303 shipping from
                                  >>Atlanta, GA to
                                  >>Richmond, CA (SF Bay area). Additionally, there
                                  >>would be a $50
                                  >>charge for lift-gate service. This is for the $1585
                                  >>price
                                  >>version that includes the stand. This may be of
                                  >>interest to some
                                  >>people thinking of ordering the machine.
                                  >>
                                  >>Perhaps the 9 x 42 mill at $2395 including free
                                  >>shipping would be
                                  >>of more interest. Wish I had the space - standard
                                  >>lament :-).
                                  >>
                                  >>A question ---- Are the mil/drill stands as shown
                                  >>in the Enco
                                  >>catalog for the dove tail mill drill worth the extra
                                  >>money? I've
                                  >>heard that they are somewhat lacking in stability.
                                  >>Maybe this
                                  >>one is different. Anybody got one?
                                  >>
                                  >>JerryK

                                • Jim Wright
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 8, 2003
                                    Corey,
                                    Could I tag along. Not buying a mill this
                                    week :-), but would love to see yours.

                                    Jim (Alameda also)

                                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, William Abernathy <william@i...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > Can't provide any info on the stands. But, I have an RF-30, and
                                    live between you
                                    > guys, in El Cerrito.
                                    >
                                    > --William
                                    >
                                    > Corey wrote:
                                    > > Jerry,
                                    > > I have an RF31 and also an Enco 8x36. Surprisingly,
                                    > > the knee mill doesn't take up much more space than the
                                    > > Mill drill. I'm up the road in Alameda if you care to
                                    > > take a look (work in Richmond).
                                    > >
                                    > > cheers,
                                    > > --- Jerry Kimberlin <kimberln@a...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > >>Back to the original topic.....I called Enco today
                                    > >>and found that
                                    > >>this new drill mill will cost $303 shipping from
                                    > >>Atlanta, GA to
                                    > >>Richmond, CA (SF Bay area). Additionally, there
                                    > >>would be a $50
                                    > >>charge for lift-gate service. This is for the $1585
                                    > >>price
                                    > >>version that includes the stand. This may be of
                                    > >>interest to some
                                    > >>people thinking of ordering the machine.
                                    > >>
                                    > >>Perhaps the 9 x 42 mill at $2395 including free
                                    > >>shipping would be
                                    > >>of more interest. Wish I had the space - standard
                                    > >>lament :-).
                                    > >>
                                    > >>A question ---- Are the mil/drill stands as shown
                                    > >>in the Enco
                                    > >>catalog for the dove tail mill drill worth the extra
                                    > >>money? I've
                                    > >>heard that they are somewhat lacking in stability.
                                    > >>Maybe this
                                    > >>one is different. Anybody got one?
                                    > >>
                                    > >>JerryK

                                  • Corey
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 9, 2003
                                      Jim,
                                      I don't think Jerry and I are getting together this
                                      weekend, but you are welcome to come by anytime. I'll
                                      send you my contact info off-list, I should be
                                      available for most of the weekend.

                                      cheers,
                                      --- Jim Wright <jtw@...> wrote:
                                      > Corey,
                                      > Could I tag along. Not buying a mill this
                                      > week :-), but would love to see yours.
                                      >
                                      > Jim (Alameda also)

                                      http://search.yahoo.com
                                    • JimSr (93dawg)
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 16, 2003
                                        What a fantastic deal that 9 x 42 mill is. And the free shipping
                                        adds to it. Too bad it don't have the choice of a three phase motor
                                        then one could use an inverter to change single phase 230 volts to
                                        three phase and also have a variable speed mill in the deal.
                                        JimSr
                                        =====

                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 17, 2003
                                          JimSr (93dawg) wrote:
                                          > What a fantastic deal that 9 x 42 mill is. And the free shipping
                                          > adds to it. Too bad it don't have the choice of a three phase motor
                                          > then one could use an inverter to change single phase 230 volts to
                                          > three phase and also have a variable speed mill in the deal.

                                          According to my "Hot Deals" flyer, the 9 x 42 is a 3phase motor
                                          already. That is one reason I am considering it.

                                          JerryK
                                        • Greg Elliot
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 17, 2003
                                            It's a bit off topic, but I have been lurking on this list while researching
                                            mill/drills. I have also been considering the Enco 9" x 42" 'hot deal' mill as it just
                                            barely fits the budget (no tooling and 'goodies', but a few more months of saving up will
                                            fix that). I've been scared off by the challenge of getting a full sized piece of
                                            equipment delivered, off the truck and setup in my farm shop... But, I have just found a
                                            rigging company 10 miles away can set it in the door of the shop with a boom truck for
                                            dirt cheap. I've got 220 single phase, so the only question left is what size/type of
                                            phase converter to use? Whats the minimum? How much is it going to add to the price?
                                            Suggestions?

                                            --
                                            Greg Elliot
                                          • Jerry Kimberlin
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 17, 2003
                                              Greg Elliot wrote:
                                              > It's a bit off topic, but I have been lurking on this list while researching
                                              > mill/drills. I have also been considering the Enco 9" x 42" 'hot deal' mill as it just
                                              > barely fits the budget (no tooling and 'goodies', but a few more months of saving up will
                                              > fix that). I've been scared off by the challenge of getting a full sized piece of
                                              > equipment delivered, off the truck and setup in my farm shop... But, I have just found a
                                              > rigging company 10 miles away can set it in the door of the shop with a boom truck for
                                              > dirt cheap. I've got 220 single phase, so the only question left is what size/type of
                                              > phase converter to use? Whats the minimum? How much is it going to add to the price?

                                              If you have a VFD powered by 230v single phase, you will have to
                                              derate the unit by some factor. Chances are you could get away
                                              with a 3 HP unit (I am on my lathe which has a 2.5 HP motor) but
                                              there is a good chance on a big mill that you would need a little
                                              more capacity when taking heavy cuts. I would recommend at least
                                              a 4 HP size, but they don't make them - so you should go to a
                                              5HP. Check with: http://www.dealerselectric.com/ and see if
                                              you can find something on special for cheap, or on eBay, but be
                                              sure it has 230VAC single phase as some of them have 3-phase
                                              input at that horsepower. Cost? Maybe another $200. You might
                                              do a search for the Teco brand and find a model number.

                                              Check with Enco about delivery. I called up about the square
                                              column mill in the same flyer and was offered lift-gate service
                                              for an extra $50. Maybe there is something similar for the 9 x
                                              42, even though it is free shipping. If you have it on the
                                              ground, you might be able to do the rest of the moving yourself,
                                              depending on what the ground is like where you unload it :-).

                                              JerryK
                                            • dcdziner
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 17, 2003
                                                Greg,
                                                I have a full size Enco mill thats powered by 220 1 PH, through a
                                                Mitsubishi VFD. It's much better than an ordinary phase converter, since you
                                                have the versatility of speed control from the VFD. I can't remember
                                                exactly, but I think the price was about $280.00. Go into Ebay, and do a
                                                search on VFD. It's worth it.
                                                As far as moving that mill into place, you can do an awful lot with
                                                some pipe rollers, and a helper to move the rollers around.

                                                Marv Frankel
                                                Los Angeles

                                                > It's a bit off topic, but I have been lurking on this list while
                                                researching
                                                > mill/drills. I have also been considering the Enco 9" x 42" 'hot deal'
                                                mill as it just
                                                > barely fits the budget (no tooling and 'goodies', but a few more months of
                                                saving up will
                                                > fix that). I've been scared off by the challenge of getting a full sized
                                                piece of
                                                > equipment delivered, off the truck and setup in my farm shop... But, I
                                                have just found a
                                                > rigging company 10 miles away can set it in the door of the shop with a
                                                boom truck for
                                                > dirt cheap. I've got 220 single phase, so the only question left is what
                                                size/type of
                                                > phase converter to use? Whats the minimum? How much is it going to add to
                                                the price?
                                                > Suggestions?
                                                >
                                                > >JimSr (93dawg) wrote:
                                                > >> What a fantastic deal that 9 x 42 mill is. And the free shipping
                                                > >> adds to it. Too bad it don't have the choice of a three phase motor
                                                > >> then one could use an inverter to change single phase 230 volts to
                                                > >> three phase and also have a variable speed mill in the deal.
                                                > >
                                                > >According to my "Hot Deals" flyer, the 9 x 42 is a 3phase motor
                                                > >already. That is one reason I am considering it.
                                                >
                                                > --
                                                > Greg Elliot

                                              • Jerry Stephenson
                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 17, 2003
                                                  Hitachi says their 3hp version doesn't have to be derated when running on single phase.

                                                  And something to think about that we just ran into on the 12x lathe group:  If the mill comes with a coolant pump and light, they are probably both designed to run on 3ph power (that's the way the Jet GH1340W lathe is designed) and if you use a VFD, they aren't designed to do two motors at once.  So you'll need another vfd of a new motor for your coolant pump and you'll need a new transformer for the light (they're actually 24vdc).

                                                  Cheers,
                                                  Jerry
                                                  > It's a bit off topic, but I have been lurking on this list while researching
                                                  > mill/drills.  I have also been considering the Enco 9" x 42" 'hot deal' mill as it just
                                                  > barely fits the budget (no tooling and 'goodies', but a few more months of saving up will
                                                  > fix that).  I've been scared off by the challenge of getting a full sized piece of
                                                  > equipment delivered, off the truck and setup in my farm shop... But, I have just found a
                                                  > rigging company 10 miles away can set it in the door of the shop with a boom truck for
                                                  > dirt cheap.  I've got 220 single phase, so the only question left is what size/type of
                                                  > phase converter to use?  Whats the minimum? How much is it going to add to the price?

                                                  If you have a VFD powered by 230v single phase, you will have to
                                                  derate the unit by some factor.  Chances are you could get away
                                                  with a 3 HP unit (I am on my lathe which has a 2.5 HP motor) but
                                                  there is a good chance on a big mill that you would need a little
                                                  more capacity when taking heavy cuts.  I would recommend at least
                                                  a 4 HP size, but they don't make them - so you should go to a
                                                  5HP.  Check with:  http://www.dealerselectric.com/  and see if
                                                  you can find something on special for cheap, or on eBay, but be
                                                  sure it has 230VAC single phase as some of them have 3-phase
                                                  input at that horsepower.  Cost? Maybe another $200.  You might
                                                  do a search for the Teco brand and find a model number.

                                                  Check with Enco about delivery.  I called up about the square
                                                  column mill in the same flyer and was offered lift-gate service
                                                  for an extra $50.  Maybe there is something similar for the 9 x
                                                  42, even though it is free shipping.  If you have it on the
                                                  ground, you might be able to do the rest of the moving yourself,
                                                  depending on what the ground is like where you unload it :-).

                                                  JerryK

                                                • rlrsk8r
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 18, 2003
                                                    Now I'm thinking after that one - If the mill comes with a coolant
                                                    pump and light, they are probably both designed to run on 3ph power

                                                    Let's see, a 3 phase light. Hmmm. Something new that I just
                                                    learned about here, only on this newsgroup....

                                                    Seriously, tho, I run a 1-1/2 HP Bridgeport on my own 3 phase
                                                    converter that is REAL cheap. I found a 1-1/2 HP 3 phase motor which
                                                    I'm using as the converter. I don't cut anything heavy enough that I
                                                    have to worry about stalling or overcurrenting the idler motor so I
                                                    simply run it. The only thing is, I don't have starting caps on it
                                                    so I have to wrap a rope on the idler to spin it up before I apply
                                                    voltage.

                                                    IMO, there is noting to get all worked up over when considering a
                                                    converter. Find a 3 pahse motor (they're available very cheaply),
                                                    latch onto it and use it, at least as an interim converter.

                                                    Roger

                                                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Stephenson" <jer@a...>