RF30 base improvement

  • Renner, Corey
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2001
      I was browsing the machineshop board and saw a mod someone made to the
      crummy sheetmetal base for the RF30.

      They filled the bottom few inches with concrete and said it works great. I
      might have to try this, follow the link from the post, there is a picture.

      http://www.chaski.com/wwwboard/machine/messages/30340.html

    • Renner, Corey
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2001
        I made this mod over the weekend. HUGE difference.

        I also made a couple of small changes. I ran a tap thru the captive nuts
        for the leveling feet to clean them up (1/2-13) I don't know if it was some
        weird Asian thread or what, but none of my standard or metric bolts fit it
        quite right.

        I set the whole assembly on a sheet of plywood (24"x21-1/2") I drilled 9/16"
        holes in the plywood to align with the holes for the leveling feet. I
        bought some 1/2" wingnuts and large washers at the hardware store along with
        some 5" long bolts. I ran the bolts thru the captive nuts down from the
        top. Within the stand, I put the large washers on the bolt and screwed on
        the wingnut. The bolts were sprayed with PAM to keep the concrete from
        adhering to them.

        Now I have a really strong rattle-proof stand with nice strong nuts captured
        within the concrete.

        The difference is so pronounced that I'm now changing my recommendation on
        the stand ;) If you buy an RF30 class machine, buy the crummy stand too,
        and spend $6 on 120lbs of concrete to "fix" it. Now the machine just
        quietly hums while operating, the only rattle comes from the feed handles on
        the x-y table. Before this mod, you didn't notice the handles vibrating
        because of all the other rattles. I'm going to take off the handles and
        pack them with wheel bearing grease so that they don't make any noise
        either.

        I can't recommend this highly enough, night and day difference. The machine
        no longer rocks back and forth when I turn the handles, wow!