RF30 base improvement
- I was browsing the machineshop board and saw a mod someone made to the
crummy sheetmetal base for the RF30.
They filled the bottom few inches with concrete and said it works great. I
might have to try this, follow the link from the post, there is a picture.
- I made this mod over the weekend. HUGE difference.
I also made a couple of small changes. I ran a tap thru the captive nuts
for the leveling feet to clean them up (1/2-13) I don't know if it was some
weird Asian thread or what, but none of my standard or metric bolts fit it
I set the whole assembly on a sheet of plywood (24"x21-1/2") I drilled 9/16"
holes in the plywood to align with the holes for the leveling feet. I
bought some 1/2" wingnuts and large washers at the hardware store along with
some 5" long bolts. I ran the bolts thru the captive nuts down from the
top. Within the stand, I put the large washers on the bolt and screwed on
the wingnut. The bolts were sprayed with PAM to keep the concrete from
adhering to them.
Now I have a really strong rattle-proof stand with nice strong nuts captured
within the concrete.
The difference is so pronounced that I'm now changing my recommendation on
the stand ;) If you buy an RF30 class machine, buy the crummy stand too,
and spend $6 on 120lbs of concrete to "fix" it. Now the machine just
quietly hums while operating, the only rattle comes from the feed handles on
the x-y table. Before this mod, you didn't notice the handles vibrating
because of all the other rattles. I'm going to take off the handles and
pack them with wheel bearing grease so that they don't make any noise
I can't recommend this highly enough, night and day difference. The machine
no longer rocks back and forth when I turn the handles, wow!
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Renner, Corey
> Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 4:53 PM
> To: 7x10minilathe (E-mail); email@example.com
> Subject: RF30 base improvement
> I was browsing the machineshop board and saw a mod someone made to the
> crummy sheetmetal base for the RF30.
> They filled the bottom few inches with concrete and said it works great.
> I might have to try this, follow the link from the post, there is a