RE:Mill Suggestions

  • SMITH, THOMAS B. (JSC-DX)
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
      Yes, Ballendo, please let us know when you have something.

      BTW, I tried using a first-surface mirror to bounce the laser off of and it
      is vastly improved. Although the laser "dot" is still more than 1/4" wide,
      you can make out the details of the image and use an edge of the dot as
      reference. Still not perfect, but should be within a few thou.

      Tom

      <<<<<<<<<<

      Message: 2
      Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:32:13 -0000
      From: ballendo@...
      Subject: Re: Mill Suggestions

      Tom,

      I've got the design done. Two ways to do it, one looks better, but is
      a little harder to "fit-up". The other is easier to install, but
      isn't as "slick". Since I'm thinking of offering plans/ kits it's
      more than a "what I would do" decision... I'll probably do the first
      one and see how it goes... ETA, a coupla weeks. There'll be pics then.

      Hope this helps.

      Ballendo
    • trainman992000@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
        Tom,

        Which Grizzly do you have?

        Jerry

        --- In mill_drill@y..., "SMITH, THOMAS B. (JSC-DX)" <tbsmith@e...>
        wrote:
        > Ballendo,
        >
        > I would be interested in your planned modifications to your mill.
        My
        > Grizzly has the same problem (I suspect they are basically the same
        > machines). How far along are you, and do you have any pictures?
        >
        > I mounted a laser to mine and bounced it off a mirror on a far wall,
        but the
        > mirror isn't flat enough (I think)...going to try a first surface
        mirror.

        > Thanks,
        > Tom
        >

        > Message: 3
        > Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:34:17 -0000
        > From: ballendo@y...
        > Subject: Re: Mill Suggestions
        >
        > Stephen,
        >
        > The RF 20 size mill drill is about the size of the old benchmaster,
        > travel wise. But,... NO horizontal milling features, and no Knee!
        >
        > I'm working on a mod for the mill drills which will let the head be
        > accurately raised and lowered. An Rf20 with this mod would be
        capable
        > of doing the vertical milling that the benchmaster could do...
        >
        > Without a way to accurately move the head up and down, the RF20 size
        > mill/drill suffers from its short quill travel (about 3-1/2 inches).
        > This is too short to "accomodate" tooling length changes, so the
        head
        > must be moved, and position re-established... This is why I often
        > recommend the RF30 over the 20, since the 5 inch quill travel of the
        > 30 WILL accomodate many tool length issues.
        >
        > Those benchmasters were nice! I wonder if we could get some made...?
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Ballendo

      • Skip Evans
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
          I must have missed part of this thread. I am interested though. I have a JET
          Mill/drill. I would at times like to raise the head with accuracy. Would
          someone please contact me offline and brief me.
          Thanks
          skip_evans@...