RE: [mill_drill] Tuning a Gearhead Mill-Drill

  • Derek B.
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2003
      Congratulations Chris,
      I have this exact same one. You can get an immediate relief of the X and Y axis's with the table nut. You can take out at least a few thous by tighten the allen screw located in the nut. It has a split in the brass. The next big step would be shims on the screw block at the dial indicator end. The Z is a-lot trickier I still have not fixed this yet. Photos of my CNC conversion are in the Zay7032G folder. I have about .0005 backlash on the X and Y now. It started with about .005 on the X and Y when I first got the machine.