Re: [mill_drill] Re: Fly Cutters

  • h71z@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2003
      Thanks to all that replied about the fly cutters. I have been grinding bits trying to get a good Finnish but just can't seem to get it right. The Finnish is scratchy looking and has a slight rough feel. I am not sure how good of a Finnish I can expect to get but I am sure it should be better than what I have so far. When the bit goes across the aluminum it looks pretty good, then the back side of the bit crosses over and makes it look rough again. It also leaves very thin kinda fuzzy looking chips on the surface. What am I doing wrong?

      Herm
    • Alex Barrie
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2003
        Re: [mill_drill] Re: Fly Cutters round the cutting edge (1/32 radius or so) make sure the quill is locked, and the gibs are snug

        Alex

        1965 Myford ML7
        1992 8 x 33 Mill/ Drill

        From: h71z@...
        Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:22:16 EST
        To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Re: Fly Cutters

        Thanks to all that replied about the fly cutters. I have been grinding bits trying to get a good Finnish but just can't seem to get it right. The Finnish is scratchy looking and has a slight rough feel. I am not sure how good of a Finnish I can expect to get but I am sure it should be better than what I have so far. When the bit goes across the aluminum it looks pretty good, then the back side of the bit crosses over and makes it look rough again. It also leaves very thin kinda fuzzy looking chips on the surface. What am I doing wrong?

        Herm

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT

      • Derek
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2003
          Yea - Finnish girls tend to be like that - try a Swedish
          one next time.

          (Sorry - way off topic)

          --- someone wrote:
          I have been trying to get a good Finnish but just can't
          seem to get it right. The Finnish is scratchy looking and
          has a slight rough feel. I am not sure how good of a
          Finnish I can expect to get but I am sure it should be
          better than what I have so far.
        • Stan Stocker
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2003
            Hi Herm;

            Try the same cut, but feeding in the other direction. A pattern is left
            by the training circumference of a flycutter in most conditions, but if
            it tears the surface the mill may need tramming. This sort of result
            often indicates the trailing sweep is doing more than just grazing the
            surface.

            Cheers,
            Stan