Re: [mill_drill] Re: RF-25 / Grizzly G1005 total height ?

  • Hunley31@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2003
      Jerone, Yes 46 will do it (tight). Only if you remove the slide that I spoke
      of. I normally leave mine open anyway. I don't think I ever locked the top
      down. Does rattle at times.
      NO..BAD INFORMATION... ALERT ALERT As I sit here I'm not sure if the head
      was up all the way. Give me to tomorrow and I'll double check. I'll post the
      corrected info when I get home tomorrow morning. Sorry, but I really think I
      gave you some bad info.

      Larry
    • Hunley31@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
        Jerone,
        OK, Now I've got what you need. All the measurements are from the base where
        the mill sits, not from the work table.
        Top shut 41.5"
        Top open 51"
        Top open slide open 56"
        Don't forget that you must allow for the drawbar to be removed as it slides
        out the top. My best guess at this is at least 56"clearance (just make it). I
        find myself sticking my hands in the "top works" more than I thought I would.
        I think you'd be well advised to allow enough room to work comfortably and be
        able to see what your doing at the top. Too high will be much more of a
        problem then too low. Ensure you don't work yourself into a situation where
        you must lower the head to remove the drawbar and lose your set up it the
        process. Major mistake there.
        Hope this helps
        some,
        Larry
      • Derek
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
          Larry

          I agree with most of what you've said - but (you knew there
          was going to be a "but") - but - why do you make such a big
          point of removing the drawbar? Other then when I was first
          investigating my new toy I don't think I've ever removed
          it. Losened it many, many times but never withdrawn it. Why
          would you want to do that? The only reason I can think of
          is if you've ruined it, destroyed the threads or something.
          And in those circumstances having to lower the head is no
          big deal.

          I say this because I think it's important not to have the
          table too low - too much bending and working with your back
          stooped. OK at 65 I'm more sensitive to this but it applies
          to everyone.

          My 2c.

          Derek

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
            Derek,
            You are absolutely right. I guess I was overstating the point as I felt bad
            I started this thread with the wrong info and didn't want to error again, Oh
            well. Can we just chalk this up to just getting home from a 14 hour night
            shift? (my only excuse). Glad somebody is checking up on us beginners and
            keeping us straight.
            Larry
          • Mark Howard
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
              Whether you have to remove the draw bar or not depends upon whether all of your tooling accepts the same draw bar thread. My face cutter and boring head have M12  threads, my collet chuck has a imperial thread. It is a minor pain but I was unable to get the M12 thread when I replaced my collet chuck and it was far cheaper to buy/make a draw bar to fit the new collet chuck than it was to source a new chuck with an M12 thread..... Just a thought, hope it's useful.

              Regards

              MARK

              Mark Howard

            • davidiburger477@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
                Drawbar removal with basement ceiling close overhead:

                Check floor above mill for passing pedestrians.
                Directly above drawbar, bore 1-1/2" hole all the way through with a hole saw.
                Make a suitable floor plug from the sawed out piece.
                Plug the hole by fastening with a strap from below.
                Remove plug when the drawbar has to be removed.

                You must do this when the significant other is out of the house and never admit where that strange circle in the floor came from.

                Dave Burger
              • Steve Roberts
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2003
                  I have very expensive exotic Italian ceramic floor~now what??
                  Only joking I have enough head room!
                  Steve R