Re: [mill_drill] rotary table

  • Jerry Stephenson
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2003
      I vote for 8".  It fits just fine and is much more versatile.  --Jerry
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
        Roger,
        as others have already told you, get the 8 inch. Let
        us know where you get it and what you pay. I've been
        meaning to pick up an 8" for my RF-31 as well. My
        favorite is the Phase II that is constantly on sale
        from Enco. Unfortunately, they insist on truck
        freight (even though it's below the UPS weight limit)
        and this adds about $70 to the cost.

        HF has some similar R/T's and shipping is free, but I
        don't know how the quality would compare (47825 or
        7522). Apparently some of the HF tables are made in
        India and the workmanship makes the Mainland Chinese
        look like fine craftsmen.

        cheers,
        --- "rogerpjr <rogerpjr@...>"
        <rogerpjr@...> wrote:
        > I am looking to buy a horizontal/vertical rotary
        > table (with dividing
        > plates) for use on my RF-31 mill/drill. I would
        > like some opinions
        > on which size would be best, a 6" or 8". The 8"
        > seems like it would
        > be too heavy and possibly too large for the table
        > which is only 8
        > 1/4" wide. What opinions do you guys have on this?
        > Also, is a three
        > slot or four slot table better?
        >
        > Roger Petrella
        > Franktown, CO

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Corey
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
          I forgot to mention:

          The HF 7522 appears to be the same as the Phase II and
          if you order it with the sale code of 7522-1vga it
          comes up at $239 (instead of the usual $299). Since
          I'm in CA I get charged tax of 8% + 4.95 "handling" so
          it's $263.07 to my door.

          The Phase II from Enco is always on sale for $219 +
          $66 to ship, but no tax so $285 delivered.

          It's probably worth it for me to spend the extra $20
          for Phase II, but I'd sure like to find a way to not
          waste $66 shipping the thing.

          cheers,

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • mtrsickleman47 <mtrsickleman@earthlink.n
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
            Corey: Enco has the 8" Phase II on sale right now for $189.95 and I
            show a regular price of only $199.95 in their 2003 Master catalog.
            Sale order # is BE200-1143 weight 92lbs.

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey <corey94945@y...> wrote:
            > I forgot to mention:
            >
            > The HF 7522 appears to be the same as the Phase II and
            > if you order it with the sale code of 7522-1vga it
            > comes up at $239 (instead of the usual $299). Since
            > I'm in CA I get charged tax of 8% + 4.95 "handling" so
            > it's $263.07 to my door.
            >
            > The Phase II from Enco is always on sale for $219 +
            > $66 to ship, but no tax so $285 delivered.
            >
            > It's probably worth it for me to spend the extra $20
            > for Phase II, but I'd sure like to find a way to not
            > waste $66 shipping the thing.
            >
            > cheers,
            > --- Corey <corey94945@y...> wrote:
            > > Roger,
            > > as others have already told you, get the 8 inch.
            > > Let
            > > us know where you get it and what you pay. I've
            > > been
            > > meaning to pick up an 8" for my RF-31 as well. My
            > > favorite is the Phase II that is constantly on sale
            > > from Enco. Unfortunately, they insist on truck
            > > freight (even though it's below the UPS weight
            > > limit)
            > > and this adds about $70 to the cost.
            > >
            > > HF has some similar R/T's and shipping is free, but
            > > don't know how the quality would compare (47825 or
            > > 7522). Apparently some of the HF tables are made in
            > > India and the workmanship makes the Mainland Chinese
            > > look like fine craftsmen.
            > >
            > > cheers,

            > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Jerry Stephenson
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2003
              Corey,
              I agree the the Chinese stuff is better than the Indian stuff.  I bought an HF 6" milling vise with free shipping and it turned out VERY nice.  If the rotary table is made in the same place, I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of the free shipping.

              BTW, if anyone is interested, I have a US made Palmgren 8" rotary table that I would sell for $225.  It's drawback is that it mounts flat on the table only, it doesn't have the flat on the edge for mounting the axis horizontal.  I'm selling it because I want to buy one that does.  I live in Carlsbad, CA (north of San Diego).

              Cheers,
              Jerry

              <rogerpjr@...> wrote:
              > I am looking to buy a horizontal/vertical rotary
              > table (with dividing
              > plates) for use on my RF-31 mill/drill.  I would
              > like some opinions
              > on which size would be best, a 6" or 8".  The 8"
              > seems like it would
              > be too heavy and possibly too large for the table
              > which is only 8
              > 1/4" wide.  What opinions do you guys have on this?
              > Also, is a three
              > slot or four slot table better?
              >
              > Roger Petrella
              > Franktown, CO

            • John
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 30, 2005
                do you guys think your better of with 6" or a 8" with a enco 40
              • corey renner
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 4, 2005
                  6" is very very small in terms of working space. I have a 10" and
                  it's a nice size for the MD, buy is a royal PITA to move on and off
                  the table.

                  So, I guess that means that between the 6 & the 8, I vote for the 8".

                  cheers,

                  On 6/30/05, John <plasmabizkit@...> wrote:
                  > do you guys think your better of with 6" or a 8" with a enco 40

                • David Christianson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                    Consider what types of projects you will do in the future. I've got
                    an 8", I ordered a 6" and they sent the wrong one, I just kept it.
                    Anyway, I really hate lifting that thing ~80 lbs onto and off from my
                    table. Too big can be just as limiting as too small.

                    Dave

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "John" <plasmabizkit@y...> wrote:
                    > do you guys think your better of with 6" or a 8" with a enco 40
                  • gmiller243
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                      I also have an 8" rotary table. I bought the 8" w/indexing from
                      Harbor Freight. I haven't used it a lot, but it seems to work fine. I
                      bought this one because it has indexing and I can mount a 6" chuck to
                      an 8" plate and bolt it to the table. It is heavy, and I'm thinking
                      about getting a 6" w/indexing also, to mount my 4" chuck that's
                      mounted to a 6" plate. But until then, the 8" will handle both.

                      Cheers, Mark

                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "David Christianson"
                      <dpc_home@s...> wrote:
                      > Consider what types of projects you will do in the future. I've got
                      > an 8", I ordered a 6" and they sent the wrong one, I just kept it.
                      > Anyway, I really hate lifting that thing ~80 lbs onto and off from
                      my
                      > table. Too big can be just as limiting as too small.
                      >
                      > Dave
                      >
                      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "John" <plasmabizkit@y...> wrote:
                      > > do you guys think your better of with 6" or a 8" with a enco 40
                    • William Abernathy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                        A friend gave me an 8" Craftsman/Palmgren 8" XY table. I think the table itself
                        is just the right size, but would not recommend an XY table for any serious
                        milling. An XY table is perfect for a drill press application where you don't
                        have a proper mill table, but redundant on a mill-drill. While suitable for
                        drilling, the X slide and Y slide just add too much slop for chatter-free
                        milling. I removed one of the axes (fortunately the dovetails are the same on
                        both axes), cinched down the gib, and haven't messed with the remaining
                        too-tight cross-slide. The table produces acceptable radius mill cuts (slight
                        surface irregularities).

                        If I were buying, I wouldn't get one of these, but the price sure was right for
                        me. And as I said, the 8" table is a very good size for my RF-30. I've got a
                        plate to hold a 3" chuck on there right now. I made the backing plate out of a
                        barbell weight, which I heartily recommend as a great cheap source for all your
                        cast iron backing plate needs.

                        --William A.

                        gmiller243 wrote:
                        > I also have an 8" rotary table. I bought the 8" w/indexing from
                        > Harbor Freight. I haven't used it a lot, but it seems to work fine. I
                        > bought this one because it has indexing and I can mount a 6" chuck to
                        > an 8" plate and bolt it to the table. It is heavy, and I'm thinking
                        > about getting a 6" w/indexing also, to mount my 4" chuck that's
                        > mounted to a 6" plate. But until then, the 8" will handle both.
                        >
                        > Cheers, Mark
                        >

                        > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "David Christianson"
                        > <dpc_home@s...> wrote:
                        >
                        >>Consider what types of projects you will do in the future. I've got
                        >>an 8", I ordered a 6" and they sent the wrong one, I just kept it.
                        >>Anyway, I really hate lifting that thing ~80 lbs onto and off from
                        >
                        > my
                        >
                        >>table. Too big can be just as limiting as too small.
                        >>
                        >>Dave
                        >>
                        >>--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "John" <plasmabizkit@y...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >>>do you guys think your better of with 6" or a 8" with a enco 40

                      • bdmail
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                          Re: [mill_drill] Re: rotary table Hello William,

                          Great idea with the removal of the X or Y axis!

                          That actually could be useful, having one axis left.  It would be like having a milling table that turns a few degrees, like the old Hardinge Horizontal mills.

                          I think I will try removing one axis as well.

                          Did you observe a noticeable change in the finish and stability removing that axis?

                          Thanks

                          Bernie

                          gmiller243 wrote:
                          > I also have an 8" rotary table. I bought the 8" w/indexing from
                          > Harbor Freight. I haven't used it a lot, but it seems to work fine. I
                          > bought this one because it has indexing and I can mount a 6" chuck to
                          > an 8" plate and bolt it to the table. It is heavy, and I'm thinking
                          > about getting a 6" w/indexing also, to mount my 4" chuck that's
                          > mounted to a 6" plate. But until then, the 8" will handle both.
                          >
                          > Cheers, Mark

                        • William Abernathy
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                            Prior to removing the second axis, the table shook pretty badly when I tried
                            rotating it under power to mill radii. Tightening the gibs did not eliminate the
                            problem. As I mentioned, removing the bottom axis and cinching down the top axis
                            tightly in the bottom dovetails has given me acceptable, though not perfect
                            finishes.

                            --William A.