Re: [mill_drill] 21" Gear Head Mill

  • Corey
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
      Keith,
      no question the dovetail version is better. The
      advantage of the belt-type is that it is mechanically
      simpler and easier to repair, it also has a greater
      range of speeds. The disadvantage is that it isn't as
      convenient as the gear-head.

      If you don't need the machine until six months from
      now, there is no reason to buy now. These machines
      are not getting any more expensive as time goes on, in
      fact they seem to be getting cheaper. Additionally,
      sometimes good deals present themselves. If you come
      across a good deal 3 months from now that you can't
      take advantage of it because your other machine is
      sitting in a crate (as the warranty expires) you'll be
      kicking yourself.

      cheers,
      --- "hillbilly494 <polson5@...>"

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • torsten98001 <torsten@gte.net>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2003
        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "hillbilly494 <polson5@s...>"
        <polson5@s...> wrote:
        > Enco is having a sale on Mill/Drills (and other stuff). There normal
        > price for an Enco 21" Gear head Mill/Drill package with 2-Axis
        > Acu-Rite DRO, Power table feed and cabinet stand is $2655.95. The
        sale
        > price is $2295, with free shipping (a $270 value). For the next 5
        days
        > they are offering a 10% discount off the sale price, making it $2065
        > delivered. It doesn't come with any (other)accessories. Is this
        > unusual or does Enco offer deals like this often. Are their machines
        > any good?
        > Their belt driven machines are 10% also but the shipping is not
        free.
        > Are there any advantage of a belt driven unit over the gear head?
        > Ive been shopping for a long time and was leaning toward the
        > lathemaster because of the dovetail column. But to set myself up
        with
        > the same options I would pay $800-$900 more. Will I be sorry I don't
        > have the dovetail column?
        > Also I am planning to leave it in the crate for about 6 months till
        > the shop in my garage is finished. Is this a mistake?
        >
        > just looking for any useful feed-back before I decide
        >
        > Keith

        As you have already figured $800-$900 more is it worth it.
        Compare a plain Machine without any extras that is capable
        of doing the Job you need it for.
        Now the extras gearhead vs. Pulleys, more convenient no doubt
        but is it worth the extra money?
        How often will you be using the machine?
        How much is convinence worth to you?
        Same with Powerfeed, how often will this be used makes a big
        difference.
        DRO's definetly not a absolutly nessessary item, machinists have
        been making Parts without it for century's, but it is nice to have.
        Dovetail column is comming to be in a better prospective now, is
        it gone allow you to make any parts you could not do without it,
        I don't think so.
        Been able to move the Head from side to side may even have some
        benefits like clamping a tall part besides the table.

        Now most of these convinence option's have the nasty habit of adding
        a few hundred Dollars each to the cost of the machine.

        If you are going to use it a lot some or all of those things may be
        money well spend but if it is capability you are after spend it on
        stuff that allows you to do more.

        In the end you will have to determine what is right for you.
        If I had 6 month untill I need it, I would wait and see maybe things
        come up or your needs will change.
        Good Luck
      • Tillinger, Richard (OLN)
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2003
          RE: [mill_drill] Re: 21" Gear Head Mill

          Hi Keith and Torsten,

          I have a Rong Fu RF-45N2P (I think that's the right model number for the three phase power downfeed one), and I'm very happy with it. While it is correct that a round column has an advantage of allowing you to move the head to the side, I think the advantages of the dovetail column are far greater. Quite often I have to move the head up or down. Example: I have a collet and edge finder mounted for setup. Then I raise the head for a drill chuck and drill bit. Then I lower the head for a collet and end mill, to counterbore the hole. I can't imagine the PIA it would be to realign the head each time. BTW, a nice feature of the RF45 over some lesser machines is the almost 5" spindle travel, which somewhat minimizes moving the head around. Oh, and I've been able to tweak a bit more X and Y travel out of it than advertised.

          I don't use the power downfeed much, but it's nice once in awhile. A disadvantage is the loss of a manual spindle stop (I guess they figure you'll forget to back it off, and damage the feed gears); I'm taking care of that problem (the former one, not the latter). The Rong Fu has real 0.100" leadscrews for X and Y, but for some strange reason that I've never been able to figure out, one turn of the fine Z feed = 0.106"! The fix for that is a DRO: *love* my Shooting Star DRO, and as a newbie/duffer, it would hard for *me* to live without. Also I would have a lot of trouble living without is the power X axis feed, and I'm seriously thinking of adding one for Y; it's wonderful for a good surface finish.

          I got a *very* good deal on my machine from Penn Tool, and I can put you in touch with the right guy if you wish.

          Regards,
          Dick