Re: [7x10minilathe] re small mills on sale

  • ballendo@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 22, 2001
      Hi!

      Not Mert, but this appears to be the DRILL PRESS on an XY table that
      HF started also aoffering recently. BEWARE, IMO... It's NOT a milling
      machine...

      Ballendo

    • StarsWatch@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 22, 2001
        Hi Joe!. . . Didn't you post the following including a jpg. of
        the Penn tool drill/mills? (see after the double row of X's)
        If not please take a look at post #34.

        Well I thought the point of the original post was :

        " Hey look at these Penn tool drill/mills. Wow anybody ever seen
        anything like them before?". . .

        The Penn tool drill/mills clearly look nothing like the Grizzly Mini
        Mill. . . The Penn tool drill/mills are variants of the HF 12 SPEED
        DRILL/MILL MACHINE ITEM 42976-0VGA $379.99 ( the little red
        sucker ).

        As for why I didn't simply get a replacement.
        Well as I said the drawbar is wimpy, the first one I got had a bowed
        column & a bad motor.

        I have ordered a HF 2hp 12 SPEED MILL/DRILL ( the big Green 700lb
        critter with the hugemongus XY table )

        Item #: 2119-2VGA It is on sale for $849.99 with FREE shipping it is
        the one that is regularly priced at $1099.99

        I'll let ya know when it comes in. . .Hell you ana everybody else are
        invited to come over and help unload and look it over!
        And hey! if anybody looses any of their fingers or toes in the
        process, Weeeell I guess I'll even let the new amputee mill a slot
        or two on it. . . Ya never know, Roger

        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

        From: Joseph Johnston <usc@s...>
        Date: Thu Feb 22, 2001 5:16pm
        Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Re: [7x10minilathe] re small mills on sale

        "RLGardner@H..." wrote:

        > I'm only vaguely familiar with Penn tools. Do they have a web site?
        Is there
        > any other contact information you can provide that I can pursue
        this?

        This is all I've got so far Richard.

        http://www.penntoolco.com/

        IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
        INSERT jpg OF 2 PENN TOOL DRILL/MILLS HERE
        IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

        --
        Joe & the four furry paws of Jenny, the wonder dog,
        in the Aurora filled skies of northwestern Vermont.

        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

        --- In mill_drill@y..., Joseph Johnston <usc@s...> wrote:
        > Hey Roger
        >

        > > .....drill/mill has ....same specs.
        > > as ...HF 12 speed drill/mill .....
        > > same to me. . . .....Definitely a error in the Penn Tool specs ..
        > > ....end mill capacity of 1-1/2" & 2" respectably ....
        > >
        > > ....FLYCUTTER dia. NOT a End mill size.
        > > ..... HF .. and both..Penn Tool ..have a MT#2
        > > arbor. . . 1-1/2" & 2" end mill holders wont fit MT#2 arbors!
        >
        > Here's some specs right off Griz's page for model #G8689, The
        one your telling me, (I
        > think any ways), that is the match for the larger Penn mill. I
        don't think your saying
        > this as there's an obvious diff. in their look. griz has square
        post & Penn has round.
        > Belts for Penn & Gears for Griz.. So have I missed something from
        your comments. Even the
        > MT#2 isn't correct. Griz's has MT#3, as it says below. Please
        explain. Thanks...

        > Dovetail column
        > Safety shut off switch
        > Adjustable depth stop
        > Fine feed head control
        > Geared drive
        > Clear guard on spindle
        > Rubber chip guards on ways
        > Zero setting dials
        > Dials read inches and millimeters
        > Adjustable dovetail ways on column
        > Gas spring head return
        > 3/8" and 1/2" collets
        > 1/2" drill chuck
        > 2 T-nuts
        >
        > Specifications:
        > Spindle Taper: MT #3
        > Head Travel: 9-7/8"
        > Head Tilt: 45 degrees L/R
        > Max. distance spindle to table: 11-
        1/2"
        > Swing: 12-3/4"
        > Longitudinal Travel: 9-1/4"
        > Cross-slide travel: 4"
        > Table size: 3-5/8" x 15-3/4"
        > Speeds: Variable
        > Speed Range: 0-2500 RPM
        > Motor Size: 3/4 HP
        > Shipping Weight: 153 lbs.

        > > down to $300...
        >
        > You know which arm of mine we'd be talk-N about for my price
        brake, don't yah know...

        > > ...not too happy with the drawbar....need to make custom
        tooling....easy to ...
        > > strip it out......
        > > The runout checked ....less than .0005 ....Starrett test
        >
        > Well, there goes the other arm, darn......
        >
        > > ... NO ... shimming could square the column to
        > > ..table ..column was bowed ....finally .....turned...on ..first
        time..
        > > ...... It quit ...not a sound.....returned..for a refund....
        >
        > MAJOR BUMMER Rog! How much hassle was there to take another
        one in exchange and why
        > didn't you? Well I was gonna just make this a short reply and its
        turned into one of my
        > famous "books". Sorry. I am interested in your comments though
        Roger. Which mill did you

      • earljones@earthlink.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 24, 2001
          I am also in the market for a <$1000 mill, for the hobby/shop.
          Does anyone have a reason why one of the three HF mills in this price
          range is better than another?
          The HF tech said the geared-head model was seldom returned (warm
          feeling?) and the reduced #2119(?) now on sale for $850 vs. $1099 was
          the oldest of the bunch.
          Would I be as well off with the mini-Grizz @$500?

          I just got the Griz 7x12 and now I know I need a mill!

          I think a lot of you guys are 7x10 folks, so your opinion means a lot
          to me. In fact, w/o that and your personal web pages I would still
          have nothing. Offline posts are OK, too.

          Earl