Re: coolant and rotary tables

  • imn23dru
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
      --- In mill_drill@y..., "Owen Lloyd" <sbw@c...> wrote:
      > Sam, do you have any photos of your coolant set up? I am in the
      process of putting together a system and would be interested in seeing
      yours.

      I'll see if I can take something over the next few days. It's a pretty
      simple system. I tapped 1/4" npt outlets in my table ends and put in
      some brass hose adapters. The outlet hoses go to a plastic tank on
      the floor. I bought a cheap submersable pump from Home Depot which is
      used for ornamental garden fountains and hooked up the inlet hose to a
      adjustable noozle with magnetic base.

      I also wanted to show off my version of the cheapest and simplest
      X-axis DRO. I hooked up a cheap digital vernier to two clamps, one
      hooked to a table stop and the other to the saddle. You just move the
      stop to whatever your range is, and you can take the caliper off in
      seconds for use as a regular vernier!

      Sam

      > My email is sbw@c...
      > thanks
      > Owen

      Coolant
      > pours off the face of the rotary table and over the sides of the
      mill
      > table due to the overhang. I thought of mounting a pie pan around
      the
      > rotary table with a side drain hole, but this severely limits my
      > travel towards the column. Maybe a plastic pan might flex out of
      the
      > way.
      >
      > Any simple rigs you guys use?
      >
      > Sam

      Service.
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
        How about a soft plastic bib or a rubber sheet to help contain the fluid. I
        have even duck taped plastic sheet temporary to form a fluid catcher. cul
        brian f.
        > I have an RF31 that I've rigged up my own coolant system. It works
        > great with my regular 4" vise, and most of the coolant follows the
        > grooves and goes down the drains at each end of the table.
        >
        > The problem arises of course when I mount my 8" rotary table. Coolant
        > pours off the face of the rotary table and over the sides of the mill
        > table due to the overhang. I thought of mounting a pie pan around the
        > rotary table with a side drain hole, but this severely limits my
        > travel towards the column. Maybe a plastic pan might flex out of the
        > way.
        >
        > Any simple rigs you guys use?
        >
        > Sam

      • Dan Bellerud
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2002

          I am looking for one too…

          hedjhawg@...

          Thanks.

          -Dan

          Sam, do you have any photos  of your coolant set up? I am in the process of putting together a system and would be interested in seeing yours.

          My email is sbw@...

          thanks

          Owen

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2002
            I'd love to see a photo or two of ypur DRO setup!

            -Dan

            hedjhawg@...

            > Sam, do you have any photos of your coolant set up? I am in the
            process of putting together a system and would be interested in seeing
            yours.

            I'll see if I can take something over the next few days. It's a pretty
            simple system. I tapped 1/4" npt outlets in my table ends and put in
            some brass hose adapters. The outlet hoses go to a plastic tank on
            the floor. I bought a cheap submersable pump from Home Depot which is
            used for ornamental garden fountains and hooked up the inlet hose to a
            adjustable noozle with magnetic base.

            I also wanted to show off my version of the cheapest and simplest
            X-axis DRO. I hooked up a cheap digital vernier to two clamps, one
            hooked to a table stop and the other to the saddle. You just move the
            stop to whatever your range is, and you can take the caliper off in
            seconds for use as a regular vernier!

            Sam

            > My email is sbw@c...
            > thanks