Re: [mill_drill] coolant and rotary tables

  • Owen Lloyd
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
      Sam, do you have any photos  of your coolant set up? I am in the process of putting together a system and would be interested in seeing yours.
      My email is sbw@...
      thanks
      Owen

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
        --- In mill_drill@y..., "Owen Lloyd" <sbw@c...> wrote:
        > Sam, do you have any photos of your coolant set up? I am in the
        process of putting together a system and would be interested in seeing
        yours.

        I'll see if I can take something over the next few days. It's a pretty
        simple system. I tapped 1/4" npt outlets in my table ends and put in
        some brass hose adapters. The outlet hoses go to a plastic tank on
        the floor. I bought a cheap submersable pump from Home Depot which is
        used for ornamental garden fountains and hooked up the inlet hose to a
        adjustable noozle with magnetic base.

        I also wanted to show off my version of the cheapest and simplest
        X-axis DRO. I hooked up a cheap digital vernier to two clamps, one
        hooked to a table stop and the other to the saddle. You just move the
        stop to whatever your range is, and you can take the caliper off in
        seconds for use as a regular vernier!

        Sam

        > My email is sbw@c...
        > thanks
        > Owen

        Service.
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
          How about a soft plastic bib or a rubber sheet to help contain the fluid. I
          have even duck taped plastic sheet temporary to form a fluid catcher. cul
          brian f.
          > I have an RF31 that I've rigged up my own coolant system. It works
          > great with my regular 4" vise, and most of the coolant follows the
          > grooves and goes down the drains at each end of the table.
          >
          > The problem arises of course when I mount my 8" rotary table. Coolant
          > pours off the face of the rotary table and over the sides of the mill
          > table due to the overhang. I thought of mounting a pie pan around the
          > rotary table with a side drain hole, but this severely limits my
          > travel towards the column. Maybe a plastic pan might flex out of the
          > way.
          >
          > Any simple rigs you guys use?
          >
          > Sam

        • Dan Bellerud
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2002

            I am looking for one too…

            hedjhawg@...

            Thanks.

            -Dan

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2002
              I'd love to see a photo or two of ypur DRO setup!

              -Dan

              hedjhawg@...

              > Sam, do you have any photos of your coolant set up? I am in the
              process of putting together a system and would be interested in seeing
              yours.

              I'll see if I can take something over the next few days. It's a pretty
              simple system. I tapped 1/4" npt outlets in my table ends and put in
              some brass hose adapters. The outlet hoses go to a plastic tank on
              the floor. I bought a cheap submersable pump from Home Depot which is
              used for ornamental garden fountains and hooked up the inlet hose to a
              adjustable noozle with magnetic base.

              I also wanted to show off my version of the cheapest and simplest
              X-axis DRO. I hooked up a cheap digital vernier to two clamps, one
              hooked to a table stop and the other to the saddle. You just move the
              stop to whatever your range is, and you can take the caliper off in
              seconds for use as a regular vernier!

              Sam

              > My email is sbw@c...
              > thanks