Re: [mill_drill] Re: HF 2119 manual .pdf

  • Paul R. Hvidston
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
      I just thought is was from Harbor Phreight ;-)

      Cheers!

      Paul R. Hvidston
      ACKSYS Engineering
      Upland, CA

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
        Thanks,

        I don't know why it didn't work for me, 4 numbers, 5 numbers?

        I like paper manuals to browse through, but I'm finding it good to have
        manuals saved as .PDF's too. And if the .PDF is from original text (not
        a scan), one can "search" using the .PDF browser!

        I just had a thought, I could SCAN manuals myself, too!

        Alan KM6VV

        vanmeter@... wrote:

        > Try this URL
        >
        > http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/2000-2999/2119.pdf
        >
        > Although the manual is not much to look at, a poor scan job
      • Ty Hoeffer
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
          On Wednesday 06 June 2001 15:30, you wrote:
          > Try this URL
          >
          > http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/2000-2999/2119.pdf
          >
          > Although the manual is not much to look at, a poor scan job

          Does anyone out there have an original RF-30 or RF-31 manual and a scanner?
          I can make PDF files but I do not have a RF-30/31 manual. If someone could
          scan the manual at 300 dpi greyscale & E-Mail me the tiff/GIF/JPG/??? files I
          would be glad to make a pdf of the manual. I'm thinking of writing a manual
          for Mill/Drills, with Illustrations, photos, projects, mods, etc. & I'm
          trying to collect manuals for all the Mill/Drill variants so that I can
          compare/contrast the versions.

          Ty

          * Ty Hoeffer -- Network Analyst
          * UVa. Health System/Computing Services
          * pth3k at Virginia.EDU
          * http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty
          *
          * "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
          * Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin 1759
        • Ty Hoeffer
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001

          • vanmeter@ace-plc.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
              I think part of the problem with HF manuals is they were originally
              scanned using the Visioneer format. They are not true PDF's in the
              sense they were distilled using Adobe software. HF just dumped the
              scans to a .pdf format
            • Alan Marconett KM6VV
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
                Hi Ty,

                Yes! I have a hi-res HP scanner, and a fresh RF-31 manual. I can also
                produce the .PDF's, which should be more compact. I could use a better
                manual!

                Alan KM6VV

                Ty Hoeffer wrote:

                > On Wednesday 06 June 2001 15:30, you wrote:
                > > Try this URL
                > >
                > > http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/2000-2999/2119.pdf
                > >
                > > Although the manual is not much to look at, a poor scan job
                > >

                > Does anyone out there have an original RF-30 or RF-31 manual and a scanner?
                > I can make PDF files but I do not have a RF-30/31 manual. If someone could
                > scan the manual at 300 dpi greyscale & E-Mail me the tiff/GIF/JPG/??? files I
                > would be glad to make a pdf of the manual. I'm thinking of writing a manual
                > for Mill/Drills, with Illustrations, photos, projects, mods, etc. & I'm
                > trying to collect manuals for all the Mill/Drill variants so that I can
                > compare/contrast the versions.
                >
                > Ty
              • Paul R. Hvidston
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
                  Alan,

                  Go for it. I've got the RF-31 + manual, but no scanner. I'd love to have a
                  PDF on-line.

                  Paul R. Hvidston, N6MGN@...
                  ACKSYS Engineering
                  Upland, CA

                  > Yes! I have a hi-res HP scanner, and a fresh RF-31 manual. I can also
                  > produce the .PDF's, which should be more compact. I could use a better
                  > manual!
                  >
                  > Alan KM6VV
                • Alan Marconett KM6VV
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
                    OK Paul, Ty,

                    I just remembered, anyone see a copyright? From China? Na!

                    Alan KM6VV

                  • jsteimle@austin.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
                      The manual that came with my Rong Fu is not much better than a typical
                      Grizzly/HF manual. If you want a scan of that I can do it this
                      weekend.
                      Jeff

                      ******

                    • ballendo@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
                        Hello,

                        Copyright no longer has to be asserted with the (c) synbol... It is
                        inherant. Don't know offhand the date of the law change, but if the
                        manual says rf-31, it would be covered since that is a new model
                        number.

                        "Fair use" is the possible legal "out" for this type of copying.
                        Mostly, fair use is interpreted as being "excerpts" or "outtakes" for
                        the purpose of review and research.

                        Hope this helps.

                        Ballendo

                        In mill_drill@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
                        > OK Paul, Ty,
                        >
                        > I just remembered, anyone see a copyright? From China? Na!
                        >
                        > Alan KM6VV
                        >
                        > "Paul R. Hvidston" wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Alan,
                        > >
                        > > Go for it. I've got the RF-31 + manual, but no scanner. I'd love
                        to have a
                        > > PDF on-line.
                        > >
                        > > Paul R. Hvidston, N6MGN@a...
                        <snip>
                      • Ty Hoeffer
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
                          On Wednesday 06 June 2001 19:20, you wrote:
                          > The manual that came with my Rong Fu is not much better than a typical
                          > Grizzly/HF manual. If you want a scan of that I can do it this
                          > weekend.
                          > Jeff

                          I don't know the manual for my G-1006 has only a few diagrams. Very little
                          info. Actually their safety tips take up about 25% of the manual. I believe
                          that we all deserve pictures ( good quality / visible / no too dark ),
                          diagrams, charts, specs, hints, tips, add on options, etc.

                          I would be glad to accept ANY version of ANY MILL/DRILL. I have the Grizzly
                          G-1006 PDF's, I have the HF-33686 ( poor quality file from HF site UNREADABLE
                          ), and thats it so far.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
                            On Wednesday 06 June 2001 19:29, you wrote:
                            > Hello,
                            >
                            > Copyright no longer has to be asserted with the (c) synbol... It is
                            > inherant. Don't know offhand the date of the law change, but if the
                            > manual says rf-31, it would be covered since that is a new model
                            > number.
                            >
                            > "Fair use" is the possible legal "out" for this type of copying.
                            > Mostly, fair use is interpreted as being "excerpts" or "outtakes" for
                            > the purpose of review and research.
                            >
                            > Hope this helps.
                            >
                            > Ballendo

                            Also to be successfull in court they must prove harm or haremfull intent,
                            Providing alternate sources for their documentation is usually not regarded
                            as harmfull. I have been providingscans of R/C manuals I have come across for
                            years, and not one company I contacted had any concern as long as the quality
                            was "CLOSE" to the printed sample & no changes were made to the content. One
                            company sends me updated docs. They think I may even be reducing the # of
                            support calls they receive. I know I answer about a dozen Helicopter related
                            questions a week. Many people have tried to order parts from me.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
                              Hi Ballendo,

                              I hadn't heard of that! How does the "fair use" work?

                              Alan KM6VV

                            • jsteimle@austin.rr.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
                                I'll scan it this weekend.

                                ******
                                > * Ty Hoeffer -- Network Analyst
                                > * UVa. Health System/Computing Services
                                > * pth3k at Virginia.EDU
                                > * http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty
                                > *
                                > * "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for
                                dinner.
                                > * Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben
                                Franklin 1759

                                ******
                              • Larry Bailey
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 6, 2001
                                  That's worse than the usual POS fare from Horrible Fright. I recently
                                  bought a five year old 2119 with a bunch of tooling. It didn't come with a
                                  manual, but the seller said that it was garbage anyway. Now I know what he
                                  meant. Try this link for an example of a useful manual. I imagine that it
                                  is the same mill as they seem to be pretty generic.

                                  http://www.grizzlyimports.com/products/more_info.php3

                                  Be careful with the 220 wiring diagram though. I don't think it was
                                  correct, but the one in the HF junction box wasn't either.

                                  If it matters my mill is flat, straight and square everywhere it's supposed
                                  to be. The spindle has essentially no runout.

                                  BTW, if you're thinking about the collet set from HF that looks like
                                  Erickson single-angle, I don't think that you can use standard TG 100
                                  collets in the chuck. It seems to be too short. The so-called "SAE"
                                  collets that come with the chuck do seem to work pretty well though. This
                                  is the Made in Taiwan set. If they've gone to a ChiCom set, I can't speak
                                  to that. What this means is that it would be difficult to expand the set
                                  without modifying either collets or the chuck.

                                  Good luck,

                                  Larry

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 7, 2001
                                    Hi Larry,

                                    Thanks for the tip on Grizzly's manuals. Your link didn't get me very
                                    far, but after looking up "additional info", I got here for the mill's
                                    manual:

                                    http://www.grizzlyimports.com/products/manuals/g1006_7m.pdf

                                    Or you can "back up" to /manuals/ and see a list of manuals.

                                    The (your) link:
                                    http://www.grizzlyimports.com/products/more_info.php3

                                    Would seem to take you to a page that is a little broken, but I just
                                    noticed that is where I "navigated" to. Anyway, it's printing now!

                                    Alan KM6VV
                                    P.S. Hope I didn't confuse everyone!

                                  • j.c.gerber@tbwil.ch
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 7, 2001
                                      Hi Alan,

                                      Thank you for the correct adress. You are really poor guys in the US having to read all those warnings. Once erased, the manual looks very thin....

                                      Jean-Claude Siwtzerland

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 7, 2001
                                        Hi Jean-Claude,

                                        I was just thinking that! More warnings, cautions and danger messages
                                        then the actual info! Well, that's Gov. safety and litigation for you!

                                        Alan KM6VV

                                      • HATZIE@fuse.net
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 7, 2001
                                          Guys
                                          I scanned the 2119 manual but at 300dpi grayscale the zipped PDF
                                          is just under 4 meg.
                                          I'll post just the JPGS of the parts lists and the blowups in the
                                          files section.
                                          If you all want the rest of it I can post it as well but it is a
                                          huge chunk for those on a dialup connection.