metal reaction

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2014
      Under my little CNC mill that I use exclusively for plastic I have a
      galvanized automotive drip pan (like a large baking sheet) just to keep
      things from rolling away and help contain the chips. This has been
      there for a number of years but today I noticed what looked like a rash
      on the front part. A bunch of corroded spots towards the side I stand on.

      The most recent things cut on that are acetal and ABS, so that shouldn't
      be it.

      I did set a steel part (mystery soft galvanized steel) on the bench near
      that tray and ground a bit off it with my flex shaft grinder, could
      those chips have done it? Shouldn't be the first time steel filings got
      on it.

      The only other thing I've cut recently is aluminum (2024 and 6061) on my
      lathe next to the mill. The lathe sits in an actual commercial baking
      sheet so that's pure aluminum and never shows corrosion.

      I put some oil on it, hope that stops the corrosion from spreading.

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype: jerrydurand