Power feed speeds

  • Kurt Laughlin
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2014

      I have one of the store-brand table feeds on my Enco RF-30 clone.  I was calibrating the speed control today and found that half of the speed range was used in the first two marks on the knob:

      1 – 2.4 in/min

      2 – 9.8 in/min

      3 – 11.8 in/min

      4 – 17 in/min

      5 – 18 in/min

      6 thru 9  - 20 in/min

      On the 7x lathes there are adjustments possible on the electronics that allow changing the motor speed and torque.  Anyone know of a similar tweak available on these power feeds to spread out the speed ramp?

      Thx,

      KL

    • Jerry Durand
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2014
        If it's got a standard "volume control" type of adjustment in it, you should be able to add a single resistor to set the range as you wish.  Depending on if it's used as a variable resistor or a potentiometer depends on the exact waht to hook it up.

        On 03/01/2014 04:52 PM, Kurt Laughlin wrote:

        I have one of the store-brand table feeds on my Enco RF-30 clone.  I was calibrating the speed control today and found that half of the speed range was used in the first two marks on the knob:

        1 – 2.4 in/min

        2 – 9.8 in/min

        3 – 11.8 in/min

        4 – 17 in/min

        5 – 18 in/min

        6 thru 9  - 20 in/min

        On the 7x lathes there are adjustments possible on the electronics that allow changing the motor speed and torque.  Anyone know of a similar tweak available on these power feeds to spread out the speed ramp?

        Thx,

        KL

        tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        Skype:  jerrydurand
      • ken lyons
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2014
          There is if you can solder.

          There must be an audio taper pot in your control. This type of control has most of its control happening in the first part of the rotation.
          Change this part to a linear taper control the same value for a more even sweep.

          ken

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2014

              Kurt,

              Does the speed vary with load?

              If it does not, then a super low tech solution is to re-label the scale.

              I don’t even look at the markings on my speed control. I look at the chips and the sound it makes. If the chips are too hot or if the machine has excessive vibration, I slow down. I know, not very satisfying….

              Rick